|• Governor||Masanao Ozaki|
|• Total||7,104.87 km2 (2,743.21 sq mi)|
|Population (December 1, 2011)|
|• Density||106.68/km2 (276.3/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||JP-39|
|Flower||Yamamomo (Myrica rubra)|
|Tree||Yanase Sugi (Cryptomeria japonica)|
|Bird||Fairy pitta (Pitta nympha)|
Kōchi Prefecture comprises the southwestern part of the island of Shikoku, facing the Pacific Ocean. It is the largest but least populous of Shikoku's four prefectures. Most of the province is mountainous, and in only a few areas such as around Kōchi and Nakamura is there a coastal plain. Kōchi is famous for its many rivers. Inamura-yama in Tosa-cho is the highest peak in Kochi prefecture with an altitude of 1,506 meters above sea level.
As of April 1, 2012, 7% of the total land area of the prefecture was designated as Natural Parks, namely the Ashizuri-Uwakai National Park; Ishizuchi, Muroto-Anan Kaigan, and Tsurugisan Quasi-National Parks; and eighteen Prefectural Natural Parks.
Eleven cities are located in Kōchi Prefecture:
Towns and villages
These are the towns and villages in each district:
- Kōchi Castle, one of only 12 original castles left in Japan
- Ryugado Cave, one of Japan's top three caves
- Shimanto River, the only undammed river in Japan
- Anpanman Museum
The 2013 movie Hospitality Department (Kencho Omotenashi Ka) is set in Kōchi. The film shows views of Kochi Prefecture.
The sports teams listed below are based in Kōchi.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Kōchi prefecture" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 538, p. 538, at Google Books.
- Nussbaum, "Kōchi" at p. 538, p. 538, at Google Books.
- Nussbaum, "Provinces and prefectures" at p. 780, p. 780, at Google Books.
- "General overview of area figures for Natural Parks by prefecture". Ministry of the Environment. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 10-ISBN 0-674-01753-6; 13-ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kochi prefecture.|
- Official website (English)