|Type of site||Cloud Development Environment|
|Created by||Devrim Yasar, Sinan Yasar|
|Launched||January 16, 2012|
|Alexa rank||18,473 (April 2014[update])|
Koding (previously known as "Kodingen") is an online development environment owned by Koding, Inc. which allows software developers to program and collaborate online in a web browser without the needs of downloading the software development kits. The platform supports multiple programming languages, including Python, Java, Perl, Node.js, Ruby, C, C++, PHP, and Go.
In 2009 Kodingen (the predecessor of Koding) was launched, which included most of the features that Koding has today. Later on the application was temporarily closed for further development, which resulted in Koding.
The first version of Koding was launched on 16 January 2012 as a private beta, then the public beta began on 24 July 2012. The final beta version was released in public on 7 August 2013. Koding also received $2 million from RTP Ventures and Greycroft Partners in funding.
The Koding platform includes an activity feed which allows users to post status updates, code snippets and topics, an Ace code editor, a Linux terminal to a private virtual machine where users can run and debug programs, and an Application catalog. Users are able to host their web applications on Koding under a subdomain. The platform also implements its own CoffeeScript-based application framework for applications within the IDE.
- Anthony Ha (July 24, 2012). "Koding (Gradually) Opens Its Social, In-Browser Development Tools To Everyone". TechCrunch.
- "Koding - AngelList". AngelList. Retrieved Nov 11, 2012.
- "Koding.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Koding". CrunchBase. Retrieved Nov 11, 2012.
- Devrim Yasar (May 7, 2009). "Kodingen is open for beta testing!" (Press release). Kodingen.
- Ryan Goodman (Jan 16, 2012). "The New Koding. Private Beta Has Begun!" (Press release). Koding, Inc.
- Robin Wauters (4 May 2012). "Koding unveils new cloud-based development platform (100 private beta invites)". The Next Web.
- Devrim Yasar (Aug 7, 2013). "Koding is now public!" (Press release). Koding.com.
- Josh Constine (March 15, 2012). "Koding Raises $2 Million To Let Developers Program From Anywhere". TechCrunch.
- Simon Schneeberger (October 4, 2012). "Let’s do Cloud Programming! Part 3: Koding". ymc.ch.
- "Koding – Cloud Web Development Platform For Web Developer". techmixer.com. Retrieved Nov 11, 2012.
- "Koding Framework Docs". Retrieved June 22, 2013.