Kogarah railway station
|Address||Railway Parade, Kogarah
New South Wales, Australia
|Line(s)||Illawarra railway line|
|Distance||11.61 km (7.21 mi) from Central|
|Structure type||Ground (built over)|
|Platforms||4 (2 side, 1 island)|
Kogarah railway station is located on the Illawarra railway line serving the southern Sydney suburb of Kogarah, a residential and commercial area including the head-office complex of the St George Bank and the administrative centre for the local government area of the Municipality of Kogarah. The station concourse links directly to a small shopping mall called Kogarah Town Centre, which has been built directly over the railway platforms and beside them on Railway Parade.
a symphony in reinforced concrete outstripping even a Todt Organization WWII flak emplacement for brutalist elegance. In my youth it was an unusually pretty railway station on the Illawarra line, but later the combined geniuses of Kogarah Council had the inspired idea of reinforcing it against air attack by bunker-busting bombs and decking out the result with a dozen different outlets for fast food. The result was the masterpiece you can see today. 
The station opened with the opening of the railway line in October 1884.
On 13 April 2010, a rail maintenance worker died while working on a closed section of track by a passing train near Kogarah. It is unclear why the train was using a closed rail line at 1am. Five other workers managed to clear the track when they spotted the train.
Platforms and services
As of the new Sydney Trains timetables on Sunday the 20th of October 2013: on weekdays the station is served by six trains per hour in each direction for most of the day, with additional trains provided during peak hours; and on weekends the station is served by six trains per hour in each direction for most of the day.
|1||weekday peak hour all-stations services to Bondi Junction via Central|
|2||weekday peak hour all-stations services to Hurstville and Sutherland via Hurstville|
|3||limited-stops and off-peak all-stations services to Bondi Junction via Central|
|4||limited-stops and off-peak all-stations services to Sutherland, Cronulla or Waterfall via Hurstville|
The station has Easy Access for wheelchairs. Lift access is provided for the eastern side to Railway Parade, the western side to Railway Street and to the railway platforms.
- 422 - Limited services to Circular Quay via Princes Highway
- 476 - Rockdale station to Sans Souci via Ramsgate, Dolls Point
- 477 - Rockdale station to Miranda via Ramsgate, Sans Souci and Taren Point
- "Clive James' favourite Sydney spots". Time Out Sydney. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- "Local Studies and Archives- Kogarah". Kogarah Municipal Council. Retrieved 19 July 2007.
- "Railway worker dies at Kogarah". St George and Sutherland Shire Leader. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- Welcome to State Transit bus services in Sydney Sydney Buses
- Punchbowl Bus Co Timetables Punchbowl Bus Co
- South Western Sydney Timetables Transdev NSW
- NightRide bus services Transport Info NSW