From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Koinon (disambiguation))
||This disambiguation page should be converted into a broad-concept article, describing the primary meaning of the term. Additional meanings linked to this term should be moved to a separate page with "(disambiguation)" in the title.||
Koinon (Greek: Κοινόν, pl. Κοινά, Koina), meaning "common" and interpreted as "commonwealth", "league" or "federation" were a number of associations of cities in ancient and early modern Greek history. The various federations termed Koinon were:
- Ionian League (Koinon Ionon), formed in the 7th century BC.
- Koinon of the Aeinautae, recorded on an inscription which was found in Eretria, island Euboea. dated to the 5h century BC.
- Chalcidian League (Koinon Chalkideon), existing ca. 430 BC to 348 BC
- Epirote League (Koinon Epiroton), existing from ca. 320 BC to ca. 170 BC
- Koinon of Crete under the Roman Empire to the 4th century.
- Koinon of Macedonians existing from 3rd century to Roman period.
- Lycian League, founded in 168 BC
- Koinon of Free Laconians, a league of cities in Laconia established by Roman emperor Augustus in 21 BC.
- Koinon of the Zagorisians under the Ottoman Empire, 1670–1868.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.