Kokolopori is a community of 25-35 villages in Djolu Territory of Tshuapa District in Équateur province, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Kokolopori is an indigenous Congolese community, formerly known as pygmy, which manages a 1,200 square miles (3,100 km2) forest reserve, in the heart of the central African rainforest. The sister city partnership is a program of the international not-for-profit Bonobo Conservation Initiative. These villages are located along the road that borders the Kokolopori Bonobo Reserve, a reserve officially registered in 2009 for bonobos (Pan paniscus). Bonobos are one of the three species of great ape which live in the Democratic Republic of Congo - the others being, chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) and gorilla (Gorilla gorilla).
- Micro-Enterprise Program, primarily focused on helping women start small businesses.
- Kokolopori Health Clinic, to provide basic health services. This also involved installation of solar panels.
- Support of the Bonobo Conservation Initiative to preserve habitat of bonobos and to create jobs for local people.
- Support for local schools.
- "F.C.'s New Sister City: Just What & Where is Congo's Kokolopori?" Falls Church News-Press, 23–29 February 2006
- "Equip 35 Midwives in Remote Congolese Villages," FirstGiving (accessed 5 May 2012)
- "La Société civile jette un regard sur la gestion alternative des conflits forestiers," Ressources Naturelles (Magazine bimestriel du Réseau Ressources Naturelles de la RDC), N°10 - Septembre-Novembre 2010 (see section "Conflits dans la Reserve Naturelles de Bonobo de Kokolopori : les communautés locales de Kokolopori exigent une 'enquête indépendante'" on page 13)
- "News Briefs: F.C. Resident Visits ‘Sister City’ Kokolopori," Falls Church News-Press, 10–16 January 2008
- "Kokolopori Bonobo Reserve is officially recognized by the DRC government!" Bonobo Initiative website (accessed 5 May 2012)
- "Congo : les bonobos disposent d’une nouvelle réserve naturelle de protection," Developpementdurable.com, 1 June 2012 (accessed 5 May 2012)
- "Kokolopori-Falls Church Sister City Partnership," Falls Church City official site (archived page; accessed 8 May 2012)
- "Sister Cities International: Changing Lives in Africa. Falls Church, Virginia – Kokolopori, Democratic Republic of Congo" (information sheet, dated 2/2009)
- "Falls Church and Sister City Support People and Environment in Congo," Falls Church Times, 16 June 2009