|Elevation||38 m (125 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||52:50 ♂/♀|
Kokrajhar city is located along the bank of Gourang River. The North East Indian Railways divides the city into two sides, north and the south. Kokrajhar city is the headquarters of Kokrajhar district and the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC).
Kokrajhar is located at  It has an average elevation of 38 metres (124 feet)..
Once Kokrajhar was a part of undivided Goalpara district. The then Goalpara District consisted of Kokrajhar, Bongagaigaon, Dhubri and present Goalpara districts. Earlier, it was a part of the Bijni kingdom, ruled those of the Koch dynasty. Bijni Kingdom and Biddapur Kingdom (Maharaja Ajit Narayan Dev) were part of the Koch Hajo, and before that, Kamata kingdom.
Local Dances: Bagurumba is a famous local dance of Bodo peoples in Kokrajhar.It is a group dance which is performed by girls. Here we can also observe Bishuwa, Jhumur, Bihu, Sattriya dances during Assamese festival celebrations in Kokrajhar.
Handicrafts: Kokrajhar also famous for local handicrafts, they are bamboo household articles, cloth toys, pottery, Clay dolls, pith and masks.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kokrajhar had a population of 31,152. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Kokrajhar has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 74%. In Kokrajhar, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age. The district has 3 sub divisions Kokrajhar, Gossaigaon and Basugaon.
Kokrajhar is served by the Assam State Transport Corporation, Bodoland Transport Co. buses, private buses and cars to important places of Assam. The Kokrajhar railway station falls under the Northeast Frontier Railway of Indian Railways with services to important cities of the country like Guwahati, Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai etc. Important trains like Rajdhani Express, Kamrup Express, Brahmaputra Mail, North East Express, Vivek Express, Garib Rath Express etc. have their stoppage at Kokrajhar railway station.
Media and communications
All India Radio has a local station in Kokrajhar which transmits various programs of mass interest.
Notable educational institutes of Kokrajhar are-
- BPCM Babyland English Medium High School
- D N Himatsingka High School
- The Reality Public School
- Kokrajhar Government College
- Commerce College, Kokrajhar
- Science College, Kokrajhar
- Bodoland University, Kokrajhar
- Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar
- Bineswar Brahma Engineering College,Kokrajhar
- Little Flower English Medium High School
- Kokrajhar Government Higher Secondary & Multipurpose School
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kokrajhar
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies". Assam. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-05.