|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Tamluk|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Panskura Purba|
Kolaghat is a census town situated on the banks of the Rupnarayan River in the Midnapore East district of West Bengal. It is located in the Panskura–II community development block of the Tamluk subdivision. It is also the headquarters of the Panskura–II CD block. Kolaghat Thermal Power Station is located here, which is managed by West Bengal Power Development Corporation Limited (WBPDCL), a department of the State Government of West Bengal.
The riverside has become a popular picnic spot and is often crowded with people, particularly during the Christmas and New Year holidays. The town is notable for its Hilsa fish.
Kolaghat is located at  It is located in the Panskura–II community development block of the Tamluk subdivision. It is also the headquarters of the Panskura–II CD block. Kolaghat police station serves the town..
As of 2001[update] India census, Kolaghat had a population of 23707. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Kolaghat has an average literacy rate of 71%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78%, and female literacy is 64%. In Kolaghat, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
West Bengal Power Development Corporation Limited (WBPDCL) of West Bengal Government runs the 6 X 210 MW Thermal Power Station at Kolaghat. It is the largest in the state sector. Madras Cements Ltd. (Branded-Ramco Cement) has also opened a grinding unit near the ash pond of the Thermal Power Project. http://ramcocement.in/images/overallview-Kolaghat.jpg
In 1998, the College of Engineering and Management, Kolaghat was set up here. The high schools are K.T.P.P. High School (K.T.P.P. Township), Kola Union High School, Kolaghat Jogendra Girls High School, Gopalnagar K.K. Institution (Gopalnagar Kaliprasanna Kar Institution), Baishnabchak M.C. High School(Baishnabchak Mahesh Chandra High School) with hostel facility, Khadinan Adarsha Primary School. The Rabindrabharati College (affiliated to Vidyasagar University, Midnapur)is all set to construct its new campus here. Kolaghat National Youth Computer Training Centre, Computer (NAHM-NYC) is a promising centre for teeming multitude of youths in and around the whole of India. And aiming to spread the computer education to the remotest corner of the country and developing Vocational abilities with utmost sincerity and determination. NAHM-NYC is aunit of Navjyoti Education Society (NES), Registered under Govt. of West Bengal, Act XXVI, 1961 and Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India. The Programmes of NAHM - National Youth Computer is organized by NAHM -Group of Institutions-An ISO 9001:2008 Certified Institution. The Brand NAHM-NATIONAL YOUTH COMPUTER and its logo is a enlisted Trade Mark of Govt. of India. The Institute has plans for recognition from AICTE, NCVT and West Bengal State Council of Technical Education in near future. Kolaghat Youth Computer Training Centre, A joint Initiative with Youth Services Department, Govt. of W.B is also situated here. Jashar-All-Woliya Senior Madrasha(Jashar,3no)
- "Yahoo maps location of Kolaghat". Yahoo maps. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "District Wise List of Statutory Towns( Municipal Corporation,Municipality,Notified Area and Cantonment Board) , Census Towns and Outgrowths, West Bengal, 2001". Census of India, Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Purba Medinipur district. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- kolaghat Thermal Power Plant
- National Highway Authority of India
- College of Engineering and Management, Kolaghat
- Kolaghat National Youth Computer Training Centre, Near Kolaghat 3no railway bridge
- Kolaghat Youth Computer Training Centre, Kolaghat