|IATA: KLH – ICAO: VAKP|
|Owner||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||1,996 ft / 608 m|
In January 1939, Air Services of India, a private airline based out of Juhu Aerodrome, (which was Mumbai's airport at that time) began air services to the princely state of Kolhapur. The service was officially inaugurated by the Maharaja of Kolhapur, Honorable Shri. Rajaram Maharaj, who had shown considerable interest in the project and offered a subsidy to the company, apart from arranging for the necessary aerodrome facilities in his capital. 
The present Kolhapur Airport began operations in the year 1987 and was leased by the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) from Airports Authority of India (AAI) on 16 April 1997. The lease expired in February 2012 and the MIDC requested the State government in May 2012 to be relieved of the responsibility of managing the airport.
The airport was closed for repairs by order of the DGCA on June 16, 2010 after the runway surface was found to be unsafe in the monsoons. Due to the closure, flights into Kolhapur were temporarily suspended. DGCA gave its approval for re-opening of the airport in April 2011 after MIDC repaired the 1,370 metre long and 50 metre wide runway. MIDC also added facilities like closed circuit television system, baggage scanner, door-frame and hand-held metal detectors and guide lights along the airstrip at a total cost of Rs 6 crore. Kingfisher Airlines resumed commercial flights on 10 June 2011. The service to Mumbai was suspended in November 2011 when the airline pulled out of several towns citing financial losses.
Airlines and destinations
No commercial airline services
Kolhapur airport was set for a major upgrade, making it capable of handling Boeing 737 aircraft. The upgrade involved increasing runway length to 3,300 metres and expanding its apron and related equipment. MIDC was to acquire 223 hectares of adjoining land from local farmers in five villages at the cost of Rs 80 crore for this purpose.
- Airport information for VAKP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- "Airlines of the world: India". Flight Global. 27 April 1939. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "New Service in India". Flight Global. 2 February 1939. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Need for taking over of Kolhapur Airport by Airport Authority of India.". XIV Lok Sabha. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "MIDC not interested in Kolhapur airport operations". Sakaal Times. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Maha govt sanctions Rs80 crore for Kolhapur airport expansion". DNA. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Kolhapur airport reopens after a year". Daily Bhaskar. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Kingfisher announces new flights". Kingfisher Airlines Media Center. 11 July 2011.
- "Kingfisher suspends Kolkata flights". Business Standard. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2012.