Kolkata metropolitan area
|Kolkata Metropolitan Area (KMA)
South 24 Parganas district
|Population (2011 Census)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5.30)|
Kolkata Metropolitan Area (KMA), also known as The Calcutta Metropolitan Area and Kolkata Metropolitan Region (KMR) is the urban agglomeration of the city of Kolkata in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is the third largest Metropolitan area in India next to Delhi and Mumbai.
It consists of many cities and towns around the city of Kolkata.The Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority takes care of this region and this region is developing very fast with new technologies,buildings,infrastructures,parks,sports club,Malls,riverside region developments etc.
The KMA consists of :
- 3 Municipal corporations: Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC), Howrah Municipal Corporation and Chandannagore Municipal Corporation
- 38 Municipalities
- 72 cities
- 527 towns and villages
- Many more regions are said to be occupied in the Metropolitan Region of Kolkata by 2015.
The 38 municipalities, as of 2014, include:
- North 24 Parganas district: Bidhannagar; Rajarhat-Gopalpur; South Dumdum; Dum Dum; North Dumdum; New Barrackpore; Madhyamgram; Barasat; Baranagar; Kamarhati; Panihati; Khardah; Titagarh; Barrackpore; North Barrackpur; Garulia; Bhatpara; Naihati; Kanchrapara; Halisahar
- Nadia district: Gayeshpur; Kalyani, West Bengal
- South 24 Parganas district: Pujali; Budge Budge; Maheshtala; Rajpur Sonarpur; Baruipur
- Hooghly district: Bansberia; Hugli-Chuchura; Bhadreswar, Hooghly; Champdani; Baidyabati; Serampore; Rishra; Konnagar; Uttarpara Kotrung
- Howrah district: Bally, Howrah; Uluberia
According to the 2011 census data, the total population of KMA is 14,112,536. KMDA report states the total area is 1886.67 km², making the population density 7,480 per km².
- List of airports in the Kolkata metropolitan area
- List of metropolitan areas in Asia by population
|This article about a location in West Bengal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|