||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kollengode, 19 km from Palakkad town, has endless green paddy fields and an ancient Vishnu temple. Kollengode enshrines the pristine beauty of rural Palakkad. The village gets its name from the blacksmith ('Kollen' in the native Tamil language) community who live here.
Tourist Places near Kollengode
- Pallakapandi Water Falls
- The Pothundi Dam
- The Seetharkundu
- The Meenkara Dam
- The Chulliyar Dam
- Thamarapadam kalam A Unit of SANTHIGIRI ASHRAM, Pothenkode, Thiruvanthapuram
Temples, Palace, yearly festivals, weekly grocery, Pollachi road('chantha') are among a few attractions in Kollengode. The predominant religion practiced is Hinduism. People from families belonging to Ezhava, Nair, Palakkad Iyer, Namboothiri, Mudaliar, Chettiar and Pathukudi communities.
Kollengode is home to the famous Kollengode Kovilakam and luminaries like late Carnatic musician K.V. Narayanaswamy (Palghat Kollengode Viswanatha Narayanaswamy), writer-bureaucrat Shashi Tharoor, late chenda exponents Kachamkuruichi Eacha Marar and Annan Marar,Late Leading South Indian Film Actor Raghuvaran, politician Achutha Menon (MLA) and numerologist Prof P.R. Piody to name a few. The eminent above persons are also well-versed in PORAATTUKALI also.
The late movie actor Raghuvaran was born in Kollengode, in the CHAKKUNGAL Tharavad in Palakkad district, Kerala.
Sivrama Mudaliar of Veliya veedu in South Pavady,was the first General Manager of Madras Co-operative spinning mills at Guntakal to note that was one of the first textile mills in co-operative sector in South India. The foundation stone of the mill was laid by our first prime minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
Seethargundu water falls, Palakapandi water falls, Vittu Thotti water falls; all these falls are visible from anywhere in Kollengode village. If you can get the right guide, you can trek to the Nelliampathy hills. A must visit, is Kachakurichi temple of Lord Vishnu. It is a huge temple and there is a saying that it is the Tirupathi of Kerala and that the temple was built by Sage Vyasa and that he had observed penance in the hill behind, called Govinda Malai.
The nearest railway station is the Kollengode Railway Station which is about 2 km away from Kollengode town and the place is known as Oottara. Oottara is located on the Palakkad - Kollengode road. At present as of Dec 2008 all trains passing through Oottara are stopped to complete Meter Gauge to Broad Gauge conversions. The following rail routes are via Kollengode. Dindigul –Palani- Pollachi – Kollengode- Palakkad Jn. (180 k.m) and Kollengode - Pollachi - Podanur - Coimbatore Jn. However the project still seem to progress at a very slow pace leaving bus as the only mode of transport right now. Murali stores is one of the oldest textiles established by the Late Mr. Chakkingal Raman Nair and his sons Chakkingal Ravindran Nair and Chakkingal Gopalakrishnan Nair which is still run.
Famous people from Kollengode
- Sankaran Manikutty (1945), born in Kollengode, a professor of Business Policy and former member of the Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Shashi Tharoor (1956-), a politician and Member of Parliament for Kerala's Thiruvananthapuram constituency.
- Balakrishnan Bhat M K (Pen name: Nakulan), A Malayalam Writer, Novelist, Whose mother tongue is Kannada has written many Malayalam novels.
- Sri.Raghuvaran:- Famous South Indian Actor
- Sri.Eyyankodu Sreedharan (Former sec Kerala Kala mandalam )
- Sri.Eric Menon (Former VP, Seegate )
- Sri.Padmasree P R Pisharady(Founder Director of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology)
- Sri.Asha menon (Malayalam critic, Academy award winner
- Sri.Vishnu (television quiz master,Writer)
Notable Places in Kollengode
- Lord Shiva Temple situated in Pudugramam, is a very old temple." http://pudugramakshetram.in/ "
- Kachamkurissi Temple, about 4km from Kollengode
- Payyalore Gramam, about 3km from Kollengode
- Allampallam Gramam, about 1.5 km from Kollengode
- V.P. Thara Bhadrakali Karuppaswami Temple 1.7 km from Kollengode.
- Kalari Kovilakam Palace, about 0 km from Kollengode
- Nearest railway junction: Palakkad, about 19 km from Kollengode.
- Nearest railway station: Kollengode, about 2 km from the town. (on the metre gauge line between Palakkad and Dindigul))
- Nearest airport: Coimbatore, about 55 km from Palakkad town.
- Nearest bus station: Kollengode 0 km
- Nearest BSNL Office: 04923-262200
- Nearest police station: Kollengode
- Santhigiri Ayurveda Medical College 16km from Kollengode Town.
- Santhigiri Ashram, Olaserry, Palakkad. " www.santhigiri.com "
Getting to Kollengod
There are frequent buses to Kollengode from places like Palakkad, Pollachi and Thrissur
Now Kollengode assembly constituency is no more. It is the part of Nemmara Assembly Constituency after the last delimitation process
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
Beauty of Kollengode
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kollengode.|