Kolovrat, Zagorje ob Savi
|Traditional region||Upper Carniola|
|Statistical region||Central Sava|
|Municipality||Zagorje ob Savi|
|• Total||6.22 km2 (2.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||463.9 m (1,522.0 ft)|
Kolovrat (German: Kolowrat) is a settlement in the Municipality of Zagorje ob Savi in central Slovenia. The area is part of the traditional region of Upper Carniola. It is now included with the rest of the municipality in the Central Sava statistical region. The settlement includes the hamlets of Kal, Plavišnik, Prevalje, Spodnje Vrtače (German: Unterwertatsche), Senčna Vas (Slovene: Senčna vas), and Strma Njiva.
The name Kolovrat is originally an oronym that appears several times in Slovenia (e.g., the Kolovrat Range); in this case, it applies to the Kolovrat Ridge (Slovene: Kolovraška reber) north of the settlement. The name Kolovrat is believed to derive from the Slovene common noun kolovrat 'spinning wheel', which developed the metaphorical meaning 'mountain ridge'. In the 19th century the German name was Kolowrat.
The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to Saint Lawrence and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ljubljana. It is a Gothic building that was restyled in the Baroque in the late 18th century.
Kolovrat Castle (sometimes also Spodnji Kolovrat, German: Unterkolowrat) is a castle built on a small hill southeast of the settlement. It was first mentioned in written documents dating to 1256. It was badly damaged in the 1895 earthquake. After 1945 part of the castle was restored.
Notable people that were born or lived in Kolovrat include:
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, pp. 92–93. (Slovene)
- Zagorje ob Savi municipal site
- Savnik, Roman, ed. 1976. Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 3. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije. p. 455.
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, pp. 195–196.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 1897
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 1115
|This article about the Municipality of Zagorje ob Savi in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|