Kondotty Town Main Junction
|• Total||122.99 km2 (47.49 sq mi)|
|• Official Languages||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 10|
Kondotty (Malayalam: കൊണ്ടോട്ടി) is a Revenue Village and Gram panchayat, and is also a developing town in the Malappuram district, state of Kerala, India which is located near Calicut International Airport, 24 km away from Malappuram.Kondotty Taluk with Kondotty as its headquarters, is declared as the seventh taluk in Malappuram district by chief minister Oommen Chandy on 23 December 2013.
Kondotty is famous for the Nercha (Malayalam for 'offering') in the Pazhayangadi Mosque. Kondotty is the birthplace of the Mappila poet, Moyinkutty Vaidyar, where there is a memorial dedicated to him. He popularised Mappilapattu (Mappila songs) by his poems on secular and romantic themes.
- 1 History
- 2 Climate
- 3 Transport
- 4 Government Institutions, Offices and Service Centers
- 5 Education
- 6 Historic Monuments
- 7 Festivals
- 8 Visitor Attractions
- 9 References
The history of Kondotty is connected with that of the 18th century Kondotty Thangals, the Sufi exponents. Tipu Sultan of Mysore brought the first Thangal Muhammad Shah, to make the Mappilas allies. The Thangal first resided at Areekode and later settled in Kondotty. When the British arrived, putting an end to the reign of Tipu Sultan, the Thangal realigned with the British. During the 1921 upsurge, the Mappila mob attacked the house of the seventh Thangal, Nasiruddin Shah.
The district has more or less the same climatic conditions prevalent else-where in the state dry season from December to February, hot season from March to May, and the South West Monsoon from October to November. The South West Monsoon is usually very heavy and during which nearly 75 percent of the annual rains are received. The climate is generally hot and humid; the range of temperature varying between 30oC and 20oC. The average annual rainfall is 290 mm.
Calicut International Airport (also known as Karipur International Airport) is located about 3 km from the Town. Almost all international flights operating from the airport are to Middle East destinations targeting the large NRI population of north Kerala working in Middle East.
Government Institutions, Offices and Service Centers
Government and Government aided institutions
- Kerala State Haj Committee ( Haj House ), Airport Road, Kondotty.
- District Panchayath Press,17th Mile, Kondotty.
- Mappila Kala Academy (Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smarakam), Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Block Panchayath Office, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Taluk Headquarters, Block Office Road, Kondotty.
- Assistant Educational Office, Pazhayangadi Street, Kondotty.
- Office of the Circle Inspector of Police, Main Road, Kondotty.
- Office of the Circle Inspector of Excise, 17th Mile, Kondotty.
- Sub Registrar Office, Kurupath Street, Kondotty.
Other Government administrative Offices
- ICDS Office, EMEA School Road, Thurakkal Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Grama Panchayat Office, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
Citizen Service Centers
- Kondotty Akshaya e Kendra Akshaya project, Hilal Building, bypass road, Kondotty.
- BSNL Customer Service Centre, Telephone Exchange Building, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
Kondotty is an emerging education hub with lots of Government and Non-Government Schools, Colleges and other educational Institutions on its radius.
- Panakkad Pookoya Thangal Memorial Higher Secondary School ( P. P. M. H. S. S. ), Kottukkara Street, Kondotty.
- E. M. E. A. Higher Secondary School, Thurakkal Street, Kondotty.
- Markazul Uloom Senior Secondary English School, Ekkaparamba, Kondotty.
- Bukhari English School, 1 Mile, Kondotty.
- G.V.H.S.S, Kondotty., Melangadi Street, Kondotty.
- E. M. E. A. College of Arts and Science, ( Affiliated to Calicut University), Kumminiparamba, Kondotty .
- The University of Calicut is located 10 km from Kondotty at Thenjipalam. This is the only university in Malappuram district.
Kondotty is home to several historic sites which belongs to the British period or before.
Situated at Kondotty, this mosque is believed to date back to the 18th Century is also called as the Kondotty mosque. This mosque is dedicated to a Muslim Saint, Muhammad Shah popularly called as Kondotty Thangal.
Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smaraka
The [Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smaraka] (Malayalam: മഹാ കവി മോയി൯കുട്ടി വൈദ്യ൪ സ്മാരകം) is a memorial building dedicated to Moyinkutty Vaidyar(1852–1892), often referred to as Mahakavi (great poet), is historically considered as one of the most renowned poets of the Mappila pattu genre of Malayalam language.
Kondotty Nercha was a week long festival held every year at Pazhayangadi Mosque, which contains the tomb of the first Thangal, Muhammad Shah. Thousands of devotees attend the Nercha, which consists of certain religious processions. However reformation movements within the community are against the Nercha at the tombs of dead persons (see: Jamaat-e-Islami Kerala, Islahi Movement in Kerala). Fairs were also held during the Nercha.
Mini Ooty is a tourist site in Arimbra Hills about 10 kilometer from Kondotty. It is at a height of 1000 feet above sea level. Mini Ooty attracts large number of visitors because of its rolling hills and scenic views. The location got the name as it resembles Ooty, one of the famous hill stations in India. There are many stone crushers and plantations atop the hill. There is an old Harijan Colony on the western side of the hill.
- "Kondotty Mosque", Travel Marg website, 18 February 2013
- Official website
- "Pazhayangadi Mosque", Kerala.me website, 18 February 2013
- "Mappila songs cultural fountains of a bygone age, says MT". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2009-08-15.