From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Kongo)
|Look up Congo or Kongo in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Congo (or Kongo or Kongō) is the name of a major river in southern Africa, the Congo River.
The term Congo may refer to two countries that border the Congo river:
- The larger Democratic Republic of the Congo (capital: Kinshasa), once known as Zaire;
- The smaller Republic of the Congo to the northwest (capital: Brazzaville).
The name may also refer to:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo, or Congo-Kinshasa
- Republic of the Congo, or Congo-Brazzaville
- Portuguese Congo, now the Angolan exclave of Cabinda Province
- Congo River, African river also known as Zaire River
- Congo Basin, drainage for the Congo River in west equatorial Africa, an area inhabited by Congolese populations
- Kingdom of Kongo (1400–1914), covering parts of present-day Angola and the two Congo states
- Kongo dia Nlaza (until late in the 16th century), a former kingdom absorbed by the Kingdom of Kongo
- Kingdom of Luba (1585–1889), a southern most former kingdom now located in the modern day Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Kingdom of Lunda (c. 1665 – 1887), a former kingdom located in the modern day countries of the Democratic Republic of Congo, north-eastern Angola and northwestern Zambia
- M'banza-Kongo, capital of Angola's northwestern Zaire province
- Kongo Central, former Bas-Congo province, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Languages and ethnic groups
- Kongō, one of the five schools of Noh acting
- Kongo (1932 film), a film starring Walter Huston, Lupe Velez, and Conrad Nagel
- Congo (film), a 1995 film based on Michael Crichton's novel
- "Congo" (song), a 1997 song by Genesis from Calling All Stations
- Kongos (band), a South African rock band
- The Congos, a reggae vocal group from Jamaica
- Congo (novel), a 1980 novel by Michael Crichton
- Congo (BBC TV series), a 2001 BBC documentary series
- HMS Congo (1816), a steamship for the Royal Navy, United Kingdom
- Japanese corvette Kongō, launched 1877
- Japanese battleship Kongō, launched 1912 as a battlecruiser
- JDS Kongō (DDG-173), a Japanese destroyer launched in 1991
- Congo (loa), a spirit in Haitian voodoo mythology
- Congo (chimpanzee)
- The Conference of NGOs or CONGO, a worldwide group of charity and aid organizations
- Vajra or Kongō, a Buddhist concept
- Congo (chess variant), a chess variant invented by Demian Freeling
People with the surname
- Kongō Masahiro (born 1948), former Japanese sumo wrestler
- John Kongos (born 1945), South African musician, leader of the band Johnny Kongos and the G-Men
- Kid Congo Powers (born 1960), American rock guitarist and singer
- Louis Congo (fl. 1725), emancipated slave appointed public executioner of the French colony Louisiana
- Cheick Kongo (born 1975), a.k.a. Cheick Guillaume Ouedraogo, French mixed martial arts fighter and kickboxer
- Conga (disambiguation)
- Congo craton, one of the cratons making the African continental crust
- Congo River (disambiguation)
- Kakongo, former kingdom
- All pages beginning with "Congo"
- All pages with titles containing "Congo"
- All pages beginning with "Kongo"
- All pages with titles containing "Kongo"
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Congo.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.