Kongunadu Munnetra Kazhagam
|Kongunadu Munnetra Kazhagam|
|Leader||Best S.Ramasamy, Kangayam Thangavel|
|Politics of India
Origins and platform
The party was launched in the name of "Kongunadu Munnetra Peravai" but later its leaders adopted the already registered name of "Kongunadu Munnetra Kazhagam". It was launched in 2009 at Coimbatore by the Kongu Vellala Goundergal Peravai, a Gounder caste organisation. Although the party was launched by a Gounder organisation, it has repositioned itself as the representative of all people in the entire Kongu region . The party charged that Kongu region continued to be one of the most neglected region in Tamil Nadu, although the region contributed for 40% of revenue to the state government. The party also claims that it was formed for the welfare and development of the Kongu region.
2009 Lok Sabha election
The party contested in 12 constituencies independently (without alliance) in 2009 lokshaba elections and polled around 6 lakhs (600,000) votes in the Kongu region. Although the party was not able to win any seat still it was considered as a good show by political observers as the party was started only 4 months before the elections. The party mainly contributed for the defeat of all Congress - Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) alliance candidates in the Kongu region of Tamil Nadu. The party came third in many constituencies ahead of Vijayakanth's Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam.
2011 Assembly election
In the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections, KMK joined hands with DMK and contested 7 seats. It lost in all the 7 seats and in local body elections, the party allied with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
|Year||Election||Votes polled||Seats contested||Seats won||Alliance with|
|2009||Indian general election, 2009||5,79,704||12||0||--|
|2011||Tamil Nadu legislative assembly election, 2011||3,70,044||7||0||United Progressive Alliance|
|2014||Indian general election, 2014||ADMK|
- New sub-regional party creates flutter in Coimbatore poll battle - Thaindian News
- Latest Tamilnadu, Indian Political News, Headlines, Information Online
- Region's 'neglect' by governments prompted party formation : Best' Ramasamy - Chennaionline News
- The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Coimbatore News : Beginning with message of conservation
- The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Coimbatore News : KMP to work for progressive Western Tamil Nadu
- The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Coimbatore News : KMP fields Dalit candidate in Nilgiris, says it is not casteist
- Meet ‘Best’ Ramasamy from Tirupur, Tamil Nadu’s new political entrepreneur - Indian Express
- Gounder consolidation could pose headache to major parties - Times Of India
- BJP ties up with KMK for forthcoming polls
kmk kangayam thangavel facebook