February 22, 1972 |
|Institution||National Research University – Higher School of Economics|
|Field||Political economy, Development economics, Economic theory|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Awards||GDN Research Medal (2004)|
|Information at IDEAS/RePEc|
Konstantin Sonin is a Russian economist. He is vice rector and professor of Economics at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, and a research fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London. Sonin is co-founder of the joint HSE-NES Bachelor of Arts Program. Until August 2013, he was professor of Economics and vice rector at the New Economic School. His primary research interests are in political economics, development economics, and economic theory.
He has published in leading academic journals in economics and political science such as American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies, American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, Journal of the European Economic Association, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and others. Since April 2011, he has been ranked #1 in Russia by RePEc academic citation service.
Sonin is a columnist for The Moscow Times and Vedomosti (in Russian). He contributes to major international and Russian media outlets. He is the author of "Sonin.ru: Lessons of Economics" (in Russian), a book aimed to a wide audience.
Sonin was born in Moscow. He received his MSc in 1995, and PhD from Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics of Moscow State University in 1998. In 2000–01, Konstantin was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Davis Center for Russian studies at Harvard. In 2001, he joined New Economic School as an Assistant Professor and in 2009 received tenure as a full Professor of Economics. In 2011–13, he was Vice Rector at New Economic School. As of August 2013, he is Vice Rector and Professor of Economics at the Higher School of Economics. Sonin is co-founder of the joint HSE-NES Bachelor of Arts Program.
In 2004–2005, he was a member at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, USA. In September 2009 – March 2010 he worked as a Visiting Professor of Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. In May 2014 Konstantin was a visiting scholar in Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics at the University of Chicago.
Awards and memberships
- Member of the Science Council of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (since April 2013)
- Prime-Minister Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, 2012
- Research Medal of the Global Development Network, 2004 (1st), 2006, 2009 (2nd)
- B. L. Ovsievich Memorial Prize, 2009 (2nd)
- Award for a Best Economist of the Russian Academy of Science, 2002, 2003
Other affiliations and memberships
- Research Director of the Center for Advanced Study at Higher School of Economics,
- Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition, member of the Scientific Advisory Board
- Kiev School of Economics, member of the International Advisory Board
- Center for Economic Policy Research, London, UK, Research Fellow
- Journal of the European Economic Association, Associate Editor
- European Journal of the Political Economy, member of the Editorial Board
- Journal of Comparative Economics, member of the Editorial Board
- Political Economy in a Changing World (with Daron Acemoglu and Georgy Egorov), Journal of Political Economy, forthcoming.
- Government control of the media (with Scott Gehlbach), Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 163-171, 2014.
- A Political Theory of Populism (with Daron Acemoglu and Georgy Egorov), Quarterly Journal of Economics, 128 (2): 771–805, April 2013.
- Field Experiment Estimate of Electoral Fraud in Russian Parliamentary Elections (with Ruben Enkolopov, Vasily Korovkin, Maria Petrova, and Alexei Zakharov), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(2):448–52, 2013.
- Dictators and Their Viziers: Endogenizing the Loyalty-Competence Trade-off (with Georgy Egorov), Journal of European Economic Association, 9 (5), 903–930, October 2011.
- Determinants of Expropriation in the Oil Sector: A Theory and Evidence from Panel Data (with Sergei Guriev and Anton Kolotilin) Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 27 (2), 301–323, August 2011. .
- Why Resource-Poor Dictators Allow Freer Media: A Theory and Evidence from Panel Data (with Sergei Guriev and Georgy Egorov), American Political Science Review, 103 (4), 645—668, November 2009.
- Coalition Formation in Non-Democracies (with Daron Acemoglu and Georgy Egorov), Review of Economic Studies, 75(4), 987—1009, December 2008.
- Why the Rich May Favor Protection of Property Rights, Journal of Comparative Economics, 31 (4), 715—731, 2003, symposium issue on Appropriate Institutions for Growth. (Reprinted in M. Henrekson and R. Douhan, eds., The Political Economy of Entrepreneurship, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2007.)
- Konstantin Sonin's Homepage at NES
- Top 25% Institutions and Economists in Russia
- Economics: Konstantin Sonin's guest profile
- Kellogg School of Management - Faculty
- Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics - Scholars
- Center for Advanced Study
- Center for Economic Policy Research
- European Journal of the Political Economy
- Journal of Comparative Economics