|Born||Kathleen Dee-Anne Stark
April 26, 1956
|Occupation||Actress, photographer, model|
Kathleen Dee-Anne Stark, better known as Koo Stark (born April 26, 1956 in New York City), is an American film actress and photographer. She is known for her appearance in the film Emily and subsequent relationship with Prince Andrew, son of Queen Elizabeth II, before his marriage to Sarah, Duchess of York.
Her parents were the film producer Wilbur Stark (1912–1995) and New York television host Kathi Norris (1919–2005). She attended a private school in Manhattan The Hewitt School. She moved to London at the age of 16.
Film and television acting
Her best known and most controversial performance was the lead role in the erotic film Emily (1976), which includes a scene with Stark and another woman in a shower. The soundtrack of that film included a title song written for the film by Rod McKuen, and was a late-night staple of early pay-cable channels such as HBO. She starred in Cruel Passion, a film based on the Marquis de Sade's novel Justine, in 1977. The same year she played the part of Camie in Star Wars Episode IV; she appeared in two scenes, both of which were eventually removed. The role of Rost in the Doctor Who serial "Attack of the Cybermen" was meant for her but she allegedly had a disagreement with the production team over her fee and was replaced by Sarah Berger.
She appeared in an episode of the cult sci-fi TV show Red Dwarf (1989). In an alternate universe, Dave Lister is hugely successful, including being married to a gorgeous, titled wife, Lady Sabrina Mulholland-Jjones, played by Stark. She also had an uncredited role in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
After parting from Prince Andrew following his return from the Falklands War, she was married to Tim Jefferies between 1986 and 1990. She has one daughter, Tatiana (born March 12, 1997) by Warren Walker. Stark lives in London and has been a practising Buddhist since 1994.
It was reported by mainstream UK press in late September 2008 that she had been evicted from her home, was on the verge of bankruptcy, and was living in a hotel in west London by the good graces of the hotel management until her financial situation could be resolved. On February 11, 2011 it was further reported that she had been made bankrupt over her stay at the five-star Jumeirah Carlton Tower hotel in London's upmarket Knightsbridge in 2008.
In 2002 she was diagnosed with breast cancer, resulting in a mastectomy and chemotherapy. In 2003, she had a second mastectomy. Due to her experience with cancer she has founded a cancer awareness agency.
- "Koo Stark's Photography" . Retrieved October 7, 2007
- Helen Weathers (July 5, 2008). "Koo Stark: My battle with breast cancer... and why I'm hiding from the bailiffs". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- Internet Movie Database, Emily User Comments
- Internet Movie Database, Star Wars Trivia
- Internet Movie Database, The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Internet Movie Database, The Shape of Things to Come
- "Koo's praise for her daughter's father" The Independent (London), Aug 18, 1998. . Retrieved October 7, 2007.
- Rebecca Hardy (October 17, 2008). "Homeless and broke – Koo's Stark life". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- Bryony Gordon (February 11, 2011). "Koo Stark: From Royal Romance to the High Court". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-04-15.