|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (March 2013)|
Kooba is a brand of contemporary handbags designed and owned by New York designer Abby Held.
The brand was launched in 1998 by the mother-daughter team of Bonnie and Abbe Held. Lynn Pincus joined them in 2000. In 2007, private equity firm Swander Pace Capital made an undisclosed investment in the company and is now the majority stake holder.
The bags are often crafted from leather and are known for their signature shape, hardware, and variety of colors. Bags are often named after celebrities and other notable figures. One of the brand's best selling bags is the Sienna, named for actress Sienna Miller.
In 2007, Kooba launched a collection of contemporary fall tops. The brand also includes jackets and outerwear.
Because of the popularity of the Kooba brand and the high prices attached to their products, there is a significant amount of counterfeit merchandise produced and sold, some of which ends up on online retail and auction websites such as eBay. Authenticity can sometimes be determined by the presence of these characteristics:
- Tags are two-sided and folded with a string connected in a corner
- Certificate of Authenticity is included with each bag
- No plastic on the handles
Kooba in popular culture
Kooba bags appear on a number of television shows on the Bravo network including "The Fashion Show" and "NYC Prep." Kooba designed exclusive colors for its bags, and the cast members got to pick their favorite. The bags will be sold on Bravo's website.
- "Eye Catchers", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, May 27, 2004
- Young, Vicki (October 18, 2007), "KOOBA PARTNERS WITH PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM.", Women's Wear Daily
- Tan, Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan (March 11, 2006), "A Rally in Mid-Cap Purses", Wall Street Journal
- Mills, James Edward (December 5, 2008), "Allure Promises the Next Big Thing in Fashion", The Wisconsin State Journal
- Greenberg, Julee (February 1, 2007), "Kooba Brand Adds Apparel to Handbags", Women's Wear Daily
- Kaul, Shirpa (April 6, 2009), "Simple Tips on Avoiding the Fake Kooba Handbags", Best Syndication
- Wuff, June (March 26, 2008), "Barneys Bag", The Boston Globe
- Clifford, Stephanie (April 13, 2009), "Bravo Shows Move Further Into Licensing Products", The New York Times