|Motto in English||C3(Change, Chance, Challenge)|
|President||Yu, Ji Soo|
|Academic staff||819 (2010)|
|Admin. staff||321 (2010)|
|Location||Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Kukmin Daehakgyo|
Kookmin University (hangul:국민대학교, hanja:國民大學校) is a private university located in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, South Korea. Kookmin, by number of students, is the 6th largest university in Seoul. Kookmin University is owned by the SsangYong Group, which bought the university in 1959.
Kookmin University has an academic family of 22,000 students, about 800 faculty members and 350 administrative staff. Since its establishment in 1946, approximately 60,000 students have graduated.
Kookmin University includes the College of Humanities, the College of Engineering and 12 other colleges. The university includes a Graduate school which consists of three Professional Graduate Schools and ten Special Graduate Schools.
Kookmin teaches in the fields of Design, Architecture, Automotive Engineering, Techno-Design, Social Science and other academic disciplines.
The College of Design held the first rank in three fields and the second rank in two fields among a total of five fields as a result of a nationwide assessment in 2007 in South Korea. The college has been ranked among the top three departments in Korea with Seoul National University and Hongik University.
Kookmin University's Graduate School of Techno Design, which was established with the view of nurturing "design human capability of world level", has been selected for the BK (Brain Korea) 21 project. The Techno Design School's interdisciplinary connection and expertise in educational-industrial cooperation is expected to create synergy with the "UIT design".
In the Joongangilbo University Ranking 2011, the School of Economics achieved third in Korea.
Kookmin University was established by the cabinet members of the Shanghai Provisional Government while the Korean government was in exile under the Japanese occupation. Ikhee "Haikong"Shin, became the first president of the university. He went on to serve the country as the first House Speaker of the National Assembly.
In 1959 Sunggon "Sungkok" Kim, the founder of the SsangYong Group, took over the foundation.
Surrounded by the Bukhansan National Park, Kookmin University boasts a clean and green environment.
Presently, Kookmin University consists of 23,000 students, 700 faculty and 300 staff members. There are 13 colleges and 14 graduate schools.
Kookmin University's academic programs are organized into undergraduate colleges, graduate schools, professional, and special schools.
- College of Law
- College of Business Administration (http://biz.kookmin.ac.kr/en/)
- College of Humanities
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Economics and Commerce
- College of Design
- College of Engineering
- College of Forest Science
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Arts
- College of Physical Education
- College of Architecture(i.e. School of Architecture, SAKU)
- College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- College of General Education
- School of Korean Language & Literature
- School of English Language & Literature
- School of Chinese Language & Literature
- School of Korean History
- School of Education
- School of Public Administration
- School of Political Science and International Relations
- School of Sociology
- School of Communication
- School of International Area Studies
- School of Law
- School of Economics
- School of Business Administration
- School of e-Business
- School of Mathematics
- School of Physics
- School of Chemistry
- School of Foods & Nutrition
- School of Forest Resources
- School of Forest Products
- School of Forest Science
- School of Advanced Materials Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Mechanics and Design
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Electronics Engineering
- School of Computer Science
- School of Ceramics
- School of Metalwork & Jewelry
- School of Music
- School of Fine Arts
- School of Performing Arts and Multimedia
- School of Physical Education
- School of Cross-Cultural Studies
- School of Nano Science & Technology
- School of Applied Information Technology
- School of Advanced Fermentation Fusion Science and Technology
Professional and special graduate schools
- School of Automotive Engineering
- School of Techno Design
- School of Business IT
- School of Education
- School of Business Administration
- School of Public Administration
- School of Engineering
- School of Design
- School of Political and Leadership
- School of Sports Industry
- School of Creative Writing
- School of Information Finance and Legal Affairs
- School of Total Arts
Kookmin University invites more than 100 exchange students from 17 sister universities annually. At Kookmin University scholarship is granted to exchange students. 800,000 Won per semester is awarded to incoming exchange students up to 2 semesters.
Korean language programs
The previous Korean Language Center has been incorporated and expanded to the Institute of International Education in 2009 to improve cultural diversity of Kookmin University by developing education programs for foreigners and local students. In the nine years of the Korean Language Program, over eight hundred students from 10 countries have completed the course of study. The Regular Intensive Program was introduced in 2006. Classes are divided by skill level into Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced classes, and maintain a small classroom environment of less than fifteen students per class.
Bugak campus(Kookmin University, Seoul) is located in the North Seoul area. Within a five-minute walk from the campus are restaurants, bars, shops, and the Bukhansan National Park. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes from Bugak campus to Daehangno and Gireum Station by car.
- Administration Complex
- Bugak Hall
- Engineering Building
- Design Center
- Science Building
- College of Law Building
- Hyungsul Hall
- International Building
- Art Center
- College of Economics and Business Building
- Building Number 7
- Student Center
- Sungkok Library
Sungkok library was founded at the opening of Kookmin University in December 1946. It moved to its current location in the Jeongneung-dong building in 1971. A new space was built with the support of the SsangYong Group, and was named after its founder Kim Sunggon, also known as Sungkok. The library has a data base and 7 million books, multimedia data, 2000 kinds of internal and external scholarly journals, 50000 kinds of foreign journals (21 DBs), 1300 online journals, 52000 e-Books, and 2700 seats in cubicles.
Myungwon house is affiliated with Kookmin University and has been designated as Seoul Folklore National Treasure No.7. The house was the residence of Han Gyu Seol, who was the Mayor of Seoul and the Minister of Political Affairs during the late Joseon dynasty. In 1980, on the verge of demolition due to the urban redevelopment of central Seoul, it was donated by the family of the former owner, Park Joon Hyuk, to the late Myungwon Kim Mee Hee, and then reconstructed at the present site adjacent to Kookmin University. The spatial arrangement shows the structure of living spaces for the upper class. This house is used as a space for the education and experience of traditional Korean culture. It especially focuses on teaching the traditional Korean tea ceremony.
- Institute of Forest Science
- Kookmin University Institute of Japanese Studies
- Nano Science & Technology Institute
- Institute of Eurasian Studies
- Cho Yonggi, Emeritus Pastor of Yoido Full Gospel Church
- Son Seokhee, President at JTBC, former MBC Announcer, Professor of Sungshin Women's University
- Lee Wan, actor
- Hwanhee, singer
- Uhm Tae-woong, actor
- Shin Dong-wook, actor
- Kim Dongwan, singer, actor
- Lee Hyori, singer
- Bang Eun-jin, film director
- Se7en, singer
- Moon Dae-sung, former Taekwondo player, Professor of Dong-A University, SKNA representative from Saha-gu
- Lee Min-woo, singer
Major accomplishments since 1996
- 1996: ranked No.1 in the National Evaluation for University Information Systems and declared as an Outstanding University by the Korean Council for University Education.
- 1997: evaluated as an Outstanding University by the Ministry of Education in the area of Education System Reforms.
- 1998: evaluated as an Outstanding University by the Ministry of Education in the area of Academic Management Improvements.
- 1999: The Graduate School of Automotive Engineering and the Graduate School of Design were selected as recipients of the Brain Korea 21 Project funded by the Korean Government.
- 2000: The College of Law was listed among the Most Distinguished Law Schools. The School of Architecture, the School of Advanced Material Engineering, and the School of Electrical Engineering were listed as "outstanding schools" by the Korean Council for University Education.
- 2001: listed among the Most Distinguished Universities in the field of Design and in the field of Cultural Studies Education. Listed among the More Outstanding Schools by the Korean Council for University Education. Selected by the Ministry of Information and Communication to participate in the India IT education program.
- 2002: selected as a More Outstanding University for promoting educational reforms by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development.
- 2003: listed among the Most Distinguished Universities in the field of teaching, for its program, the Course of Study for the Teaching Profession by the Ministry of Education & Human Resource Development.
- 2004: chosen to be sponsored as a University with a Specialized program by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development.
- 2005: listed among Universities with Newly Established Distinguished Research Institutes by the Ministry of Science and Technology. Selected to be sponsored by the Fundamental Studies Support Program, by the Korea Research Foundation. Participated in the Educational-Industrial Collaboration Project, sponsored by the city of Seoul. Nominated as one of the main research institutes participating in the Leading Technology Development Project by the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- 2006: named one of the most outstanding universities in the National Evaluation for Universities by the Korean Council for University Education (KCUE). Selected to be funded by the Project for Diversification & the Development of the Unique Characteristics of Metropolitan Area Universities by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development.
- 2007: received a Best University award from the Korean Council for University Education (KCUE). Celebrated its 61st anniversary.
- 2008: selected as ‘a support business for the specialization of universities in the capital area’ by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology. Selected as ‘a support business for core research institutes’ by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, Selected as ‘an excellent university for the course evaluation of professional academic standards’ of the General Undergraduate School by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, Acquired ‘the Certification of the Accreditation Board for Engineering Education in Korea (ABEEK)’ for the 4 intensive undergraduate programs in the field of engineering, Selected as ‘an excellent university in the field of economics’ in the scholastic evaluation by the Korean Council for University Education, Selected as ‘an excellent university in the field of physics’ in the scholastic evaluation by the Korean Council for University Education
- 2009: selected as‘a support business for the cultivation of university IT centers’ by the Ministry of Knowledge and Economy, Selected as‘a support business for the core research institutes’ by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, Selected as‘a support business for the liberal arts of Korea’ by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, Acquired Certification of the Accreditation Board for Engineering Education in Korea (ABEEK)’ for the College of Administration (Department of Business Administration), College of Business (Department of Business IT), and the education of business administration
- 2010: signed Exchange Agreement with Princess Nora Bint Abdul Rahman University (Saudi Arabia). Signed Educational and Research Cooperation Agreement with the Secretariat of the National Assembly. Signed Exchange Agreement with Iowa State University (United States). Signed AOC with King Saud University (Saudi Arabia) and MOU with Al Yamamah University (Saudi Arabia). Signed MOU with Ssangyong Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd. Singapore Branch. Signed MOU with Korea Food Research Institute. Signed Academic Exchange Agreement with Myongji University. School of Architect acquired 5-Year Architectural Accreditation from the Korea Architectural Accrediting Board (KAAB). Signed Academic Exchange Agreement with Saudi Arabian Culture Mission in Korea. Signed Exchange Agreement with the Study Abroad Foundation (SAF)