|Location||489 Glenferrie Road
|Owner||Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club|
It was the venue for the Australian Open, whenever that tournament was held in Melbourne, becoming the permanent venue from 1972-1987. Kooyong holds the distinction of being the last Australian Open venue to play on grass courts. The tournament was moved to the hard courts of Melbourne Park in 1988. The surface was grass courts. Now a hard-court surface, it remains the venue for the AAMI Classic exhibition tournament.
The venue has also hosted several concerts:
- In February 1972, English rock group Led Zeppelin held a large open-air concert at the venue as part of its Australasian Tour.
- On 17-18 February 1973, The Rolling Stones played three shows there as part of their 1973 Pacific Tour.
- On 13 January 1973 Black Sabbath performed a concert there.
- In February 1986, Bob Dylan performed three concerts there.
- In November 1987, David Bowie performed four concerts at the venue.
|This article about a sports venue in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a tennis venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|