|Elevation||316 m (1,037 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||927 ♂/♀|
Korba (Hindi: कोरबा) is a city and an industrial area in Korba District in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. Korba is the power capital of the newly formed state Chhattisgarh. The district comes under Bilaspur division and is inhabited mainly by tribals including the protected tribe Korwas (Pahadi Korwa). Korba is blessed with lush green forest cover, where a sizeable number of tribal population is found. The Adivaisis in the forest areas live in tandem with the environment and have retained their distinctive cultural characteristics and traditional observances Korba is often referred as the Industrial Hub of Chhattisgarh. The district within itself is enriched with all the essential raw materials needed for power generation namely coal and water. The four Thermal Power Plants (KSTPS (N.T.P.C), BCPP, CSEB East, CSEB West) together generates 3650 MW of electricity. Besides these, there is a Hydro Electric Power Station situated at Bango. Coal is also abundant in the district. The SECL, a profit making coal company under the Coal India Limited has many of its important mines, part of Korba Coalfield, in Korba district. BALCO (Bharat Aluminium Company) an aluminium major is based in the district.
Korba district was accorded the status of a full-fledged revenue district with effect from 25 May 1998. The district headquarters is Korba city, which is situated on the banks of the confluence of rivers Hasdeo and Ahiran.
Korba is located at  It has an average elevation of 252 metres (826 feet)..
Korba (population 501568) is a center of Korba District in the newly formed state of Chhattisgarh, India (Nov.1, 2000). It is situated at the confluence of the Hasdeo and Ahiran rivers. Located at 22*20' North latitude and 82*42' East longitude, with a height of 304.8 meter. above sea level, it is the major source of electricity in Chhattisgarh.
|Latitude||220 01' To 230 01'|
|Longitude||820 08' To 830 09'|
|Height from sea level||304.8 meters|
Korba district is situated in the northern half of the Chhattisgarh state and surrounded by the districts Korea, Surguja, bilaspur, Janjgir etc. The headquarters of Korba district is about 200 km from the capital city Raipur.
The District's total area is 714,544 hectares, of which 283,497 hectares is forest land.
Korba and Champa are well known for “Kosa”, a special variety of silk used for producing one of the best quality of cloth in the world. Being light in weight and having shiny glaze, it is used to make kurtas, sarees, shirts, salwar-suits and other garments for party as well as casual wears. Korba also famous for Korva tribes.
Other large towns in Korba district are Kartala, Katghora, Pali and Chhuri and NTPC
As of 2011[update] India census, Korba city had a population of 365,073. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Korba has an average literacy rate of 84.36%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 91.93%, and female literacy is 76.17%. In Korba, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Korba city is the 88th most populous city of India, 4th in Chhattisgarh behind Raipur, Bilaspur and Bhilai. The district of Korba has the highest per capital income in c.g, India
Korba District falls under the hot temperate climate zone and hence the district experiences very hot and dry climate. Summer season starts from April to mid June. Rainy season is due to the South-West Monsoon starting from mid June till the end of September. The average rainfall in the district is 1506.7 mm. and normal rainfall is 1287.6 mm.
Korba and its surroundings
Some of the planned colonies and towns situated in Korba are those of SECL (South Eastern Coal Fields) that include Gevra Project (Asia's biggest open coalmine), Dipka Project, Kusmunda Project, Banki Mongra, Balgi Project, Surakachhar, Ghurdeva, Darri, Rumgara, Manikpur Project, C.S.E.B. [Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board] Korba East, C.S.E.B. Korba West, N.T.P.C. and BALCO, SECL Gevra Project. C.S.E.B. is a huge source of electricity in Chhattisgarh. N.T.P.C. is the most important source of electricity in India.
NTPC's Super Thermal Power Plant in Korba is working at 90% Plant Load Factor (PLF), and the plants of the Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board (CSEB) are also highly efficient.
LANCO Amarkantak Power Ltd (LAPL) has set up 2x300 MW Coal based power project near Pathadi - Saragbundia villages on the Champa - Korba State Highway in Chhattisgarh, India.
Apart from the power plants, Korba is surrounded by two sides hills and forest. Other sides are flats.
Overall, Korba produces approximately 6000 Megawatts of electricity and within a span of few years, its overall electricity capacity will be around 9000 megawatts. There electricity is produced by coal based thermal power plants like National Thermal Power Corporation, Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board, Korba East, Chhattisgarh State Electricity Board, Korba West, LANCO Amarkantak Power Station, BALCO, BCPP, Vandana Power Station, ACB power plant etc. Korba has also got a mini hydropower plant made on River Hasdeo, tributary of River Mahanadi, producing 120 MW of electricity.
Inhabitants and culture
Inhabitants The people of Korba comes under different religious, social and cultural backgrounds. The main inhabitants are tribals. Tribals constitute the majority (51.67%) of the total population. The main scheduled tribes belongs in korba district are Pahadi Korwa, Gond, Raj Gond, Kawar, Bhaiyana, Binjwar, Dhanuhar etc. Satnami, Ganda, Panka etc. are comes under the scheduled cast.
The main occupation is agriculture. The local language is Chhattisgarhi.
Culture Korba district is also famous for its social and cultural diversities. The people of this district mainly celebrated Holi, Dussehra, Christmas and Diwali. The main adivasi festivals are Dev Uthni, Pola, Cherchera, Karma, Hareli etc.
Rauat Nacha, Karma Nacha, Suva Nacha are the traditional dances of the Adivasi's of this district.
Rivers and Forest
The main river which is flowing through Korba district is the Hasdeo river start from Pathar in the Valley of Chhota Nagpur. The total length of this river is 233 km. Its tributaries are Gagechorai, Tan and Ahiran.
Forests play an important role in the social and financial structure of Korba. This district is rich in forest wealth. Korba district has two forest divisions Korba and Katghora.
|Forest Type||Area (in km2.)|
Historical and mythological places of Korba
Madwarani Madwarani Mandir is on the Korba-Champa Road, 22 km from district headquarters. There is a temple of Goddess Madwarani at the top of the hill. The legend behind this temple is that at the season of Nawaratri, jowar was growing under Kalmi trees near the temple. During the Nawratri season (September. October) of each year there is fair celebrated by the local people.madwarani mandir nirmarkarta laet.shri.R.N.SHRIVASTAV(GOGIRAM)korba.SAN-1969.at ma madwarani seva avm janklyan samiti p368.vi.s madwarani korba.
Chaithurgarh Chaithurgarh (Lafagarh) is around 70 km from Korba town. It is 25 km north of Pali and situated at a height of 3060 height on the hill top. It was constructed by Raja Pratwidev First. Archeologists consider it as one of the strongest natural fort. Since it is protected by strong natural walls. The fort has three main entrances which are named as Menaka, Humkara, and Simhadwar. On the hilltop there is a plain area having an area of 5 km. There are five ponds, of which three are perennially full of water. The famous Mahishasur Mardini temple is situated here. The idol of Mahishasur Mardini having 12 hands is installed in the sanctum sanctorum. Shankar cave is 3 km from the temple. The cave which is like a tunnel, is 25 ft long. One can go inside the cave only by creeping since it is very short in diameter.
The hillocks of chaithurgarh is famous for its natural beauty and the adventures experiences it offers. Many types of wild animals and birds are found here. The SECL constructed a rest house for visitors here. The temple trust also made some rooms for the tourists. Special Pujas are held during the Navaratri
Kudurmal Kudurmal is a small village situated around 15 km from Korba district headquarters. The historical importance is that there is a Samadhi of one of the disciple of Saint Kabir's, which is about 500 years old.
Devapahari Devapahari is situated 58 km. North East from Korba on the bank of Chornai river. This river made one lovely waterfall named Govind Kunj in Devapahari.
Pali Pali is a tehsil headquarters in Korba district. It is around 50 km from the district headquarters on the Korba–Bilaspur road. It is believed that Pali was the worship place of Raja Vikramaditya, who was a ruler belonging to the Banna dynasty. There is an ancient Shiv Mandir, which is at the side of large pond. Many other remnants can also be seen here. This temple is faced towards east and its entrance is octagonal. The plinth of this temple is upon 5 platforms.
Sarvamangala is one of the famous temple in Korba district. The Goddess of this temple is Durga. This temple was built by the ancestors of Rajeshwar Dayal one of the Zamindar in Korba. The temple is surrounded by Trilokinath Mandir, Kali Mandir and Jyoti Kalash Bhavan. There is also a cave, which goes under the river and comes out on the other side. Rani Dhanraj Kunwar Devi was used to this cave for her daily visit to the temple.
Kendai Kendai is a village 85 km from Korba district headquarters on the Bilaspur–Ambikapur State highway No. 5. This is one of the beautiful picnic spots in the district. There is a lovely waterfall 75 feet high. Bhulsidih Earlir founded ancient caves in Bhulsidih 7 km from main city of Korba.
Korba is a station on the Champa-Gevra Road branch line of the Tatanagar–Bilaspur section of Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line. It has to depend upon Bilaspur railway station which is well connected to whole country.
Express trains from Korba :
- Korba - Visakhapatnam, Link Express
- Gevra Road - Nagpur-Bilaspur, Shivnath Express
- Korba - Trivandrum, Trivandrum Express
- Korba - Yesvantpur, Wainganga Express
- Gevra Road - Bilaspur - Amritsar, Chhattisgarh Express #korba -raipur sf The city is directly connected to Bilaspur, Raipur, Chennai, Hyderabad, Warangal, Bangalore, Visakhapatnam, Kollam and Nagpur.
Demands For New Trains There are heavy demands to connect Korba with Western and Central Indian cities by trains. The important services includes :
- Korba - Delhi Express
- Korba - Indore Express (Daily)
- Korba - Habibganj (Bhopal) Express Via Bilaspur - Katni (Daily)
- Korba - Lucknow Express (Weekly)
- Korba - Rewa Express (Daily)
- Korba - Ahmedabad Express
- Korba - Ranchi (via balpur Raighar)
Champa is the nearest railway junction, on the Howrah-Bilaspur-Nagpur-Mumbai, South Eastern Central Railway Zone. It is directly connected to Bilaspur the Zonal and Divisional Headquarters by rail and road through Katghora-Pali-Ratanpur. The nearest airport is at Raipur, which is about 250 km from Korba.
http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2F-neB2EmsQv-Y%2FUk2Byqv73pI%2FAAAAAAAALUc%2FeW32Gn-P6to%2Fs0%2Fphoto.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com%2F108841719926049497455%2Fabout&h=765&w=2048&tbnid=_qZdPw1HUfr-JM%3A&zoom=1&docid=J1EDY1olLxhQDM&ei=kXVbU-KaIdTt8AW9yoLABw&tbm=isch&ved=0CK4BEDMoUzBT&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=8244&page=6&start=83&ndsp=19== Health Facilities And Hospitals ==
- Government 100-bed hospital, Rajgamar Road, Korba
- NTPC Hospital ISO-9001 Jamnipali, Korba
- NCH Hospital (ISO certified), Gevra Project (SECL)
- Banki-Surakachhar SECL Hospital, Banki Mongra
- Public Health Centre.
- Civil Hospital.
- Ankur Disabled Child Special School
- Korba Hospital (KOSABADI)
- KHANDE Hospital C.S.E.B. Chouk Korba
- Sahu Hospital, Indra Vihar Korba
- Dr. Pramod Thawait Clinic, P.H. Road Korba
- Multispeceility Hospital, Kosabadi, Korba
- Nav Jeevan Nursing Home, Niharika (Dr. Rohit Banchhor)
- Dr. Sujeet Singh Clinic, Niharika
- CSPGCL Hospital, CSPGCL West
- Prakritk Niketan & Yogasram, Naturopathy center in Niharika
- Dr. Desh Deepak clinic, CITU office, sec-6, balco nagar
- Jyoti Nursing Home, Niharika Road, Korba
- Shakya Clinic, Jamnipali, Korba
- APEX Pathlogy Lab aunit of Dr.Lal PathLabs, Main Road Kosabadi, KORBA, Helpline-07759-222108
- ARVINDAM Eye Care, Main Road T.P.Nagar Korba
- PATHAK Clinic, Dr. Maniss Pathak MD,Old Bus Stand, Korba
Internet penetration is gaining pace in Korba because of the industries here and so associated influx of people from all over the country.
|Korba - Government Website||http://www.korba.gov.in/||Official government website for the city. Land records and other e-governance projects are available from here.|
|QuickSearch||http://www.myquicksearch.in||Local search service provider in the city|
|Korba - Municipal corporation of Korba||http://www.korbamunicipal.in/||Official website of the municipal corporation of Korba|
|Meewhy||http://www.meewhy.com||Business & Entrepreneurship Blogs & Consultancy|
|Srout - Non Governmental Organizations||http://www.srout.org/||Social Revival Group of Urban Rural and Tribal (SROUT)|
|The Korba City||http://www.thekorbacity.in||Website to know more about Korba. Informations related to korba city are made available in this website.|
- Hotel Blue Diamond
- Hotel Relaxxinn and resort
- Hotel centrepoint
- Hotel maharaja palace
- Hotel grand govinda
- Hotel vishram regency
- Hotel green park
- Hotel top in town
- Hotel natraaj
Most of the government-run schools in Korba are affiliated with the State School Examination Board, whereas most private schools are affiliated with Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) boards.
Schools affiliated to State Board:
- Aadimjaati Kalyan Vibhag Shashkiya Uchatar Madhyamik Vidyalaya KORBA
- Shashkiya Purva Madhyamik Shala Andhari Kachhar KORBA
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir, Gevra Project (SECL)
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir, CSPGL west (Darri)
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir, Rajgamar (SECL)
- Saraswati Hr sec School, Gevra Project (SECL)
- Vidhyut grih higher secondary school, CSEB west
- Nirmala Higher secondary School
- Lions English Hr. Sec. School, T.P. Nagar Korba, C.G.
- Lions English Medium School, Sitamadi, Korba
- Beacon English higher secondary school, SECL Korba
- Beacon English higher secondary school, CSPGCL west
- Beacon English higher secondary school, Gevra Project (SECL)
- M.G.M. H.S. School, BALCO
- Blue Bird Public School
- Adarsh higher secondary school, BALCO
- saraswati higher secondary school, sitamani korba.
- saraswati shishu mandir, old bus stand korba.
- saraswati shishu mandir c.s.e.b. korba (East).
- Saraswati Higher Secondary School, Korba Project, Korba
- N.C.D.C. School, Korba
- Agrasen Public School, Darri Road, Korba
The schools affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education:
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kusmunda Korba (SECL)
- St. Thomas Public Scool, Pragati Nagar, Dipka Project (SECL)
- D.A.V. Public School, Kusmunda Korba (SECL)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, (Jamnipali) (NTPC)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, (Jamnipali) (BCPP) -- Ordered to close, case pending in High court
- Delhi Public School NTPC Korba
- Delhi Public School (formerly Kendriya Vidyalaya), (Balconagar) (BALCO) -- Delhi Public School Society has recently taken over Kendriya Vidyalaya Balconagar
- D.A.V. Public School, Kusmunda, Laxman Project (SECL)
- D.A.V. Public School, Gevra Project (SECL)
- D D M Public School, SECL Korba
- St. Xaviers School, Dipka Project (SECL)
- St. Xaviers School, Korba
- New Era Progressive School, Korba
- Career Public Sr.Sec. School, Korba
The Coal City is served by the following university:
- Guru Ghasidas Central University, Bilaspur
- Bilaspur University, Bilaspur
- Kamal Institute of Technology & Management (KITM), T. P. Nagar Korba
Apart from several colleges offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses, there are many professional educational institutes viz. http://www.moderngroup.org/
- Institute of Technology(Engineering College) Korba
- Govt. Polytechnic College
- Kamla Nehru College, Korba
- INIFD, Korba
- Govt. P.G. College, Korba
- Gramya Bharti vidhya pith, Hardi Bazar
- Govt. Minimata Girls College, Korba
- Korba City College
- Dr.C.V.Raman University Regional Center, Transport Nagar Korba(CVRU-Regional Office).
- Swami Vivekanand College [English medium]
- Global Academy of Management and Information Technology (GAMIT)
- Modern Institute of Management and Info. Technology (MIMT)
- Modern College of Management and Info. Technology (MCMIT)
- Korba Computer Collage (KCC)
- Aisect Education Center KORBA (AISECT)
- Abacus Computer Education, Niharika Korba
- Shree Agrasen Girls College, Darri Road, Korba
- Shree Agrasen B.Ed. College, Darri Road, Korba
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Korba
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
*Kamal Tradings Korba (Web Archive) Industrial Safety Equipments Hub.
- Power City Korba (Web Archive) - main site currently parked by spammers
- Official Website of Korba District 
- Korba : Power hub of chhattisgarh Fly Ash Bricks, Kosa Silk, Agriculture, Mfg. of aluminum.
-  Coal Washery, KJSL Coal & Power Pvt Ltd, KJSL Coal Washery, supplier of Washed coal, Washery Reject, Coal Supplier .
- Korba City : Chhattisgarh's pride Updated Hindi news about Korba, Raipur, Chhattisgarh, government initiatives, yojanas, tourist destinations.
-  Gurdeep Singh, Joel Samuel, Sarang Khati und Anurag Tiwari: Assessment of Air Quality in Korba Coalfield, Chhatisgarh. NSEEME-2004, 19-20, März 2004 abgerufen am 28. März 2009 (PDF; 4,9 MB)