Kory Merrill Tarpenning (born February 27, 1962 in Portland, Oregon) is a retired American pole vaulter best known for finishing fourth at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, having previously competed at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. His personal best vault was 5.89 m (19 ft 33⁄4 in), achieved in July 1988 in Indianapolis.
Aside from his Olympic appearances, he placed fourth at both the 1991 IAAF World Indoor Championships and 1994 IAAF Grand Prix Final. He also competed at the 1992 IAAF World Cup, but failed to register a valid mark. He was a four time national champion in his discipline, having won at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in 1988 and 1989 and the USA Indoor Track and Field Championships in 1991 and 1994.
Asked his opinion, around the 1988 Seoul Olympics, on the prevalence of doping in athletics he responded "We know a lot of athletes are using drugs, but they're able to test negatively because they know the system so well". At the 1992 Olympic Tarpenning ascribed his good performance to his use of Chinese herbal medicines, including deer antler and ginseng. Tarpenning tested positive for anabolic steroids 14 July 1997 and received a two-year doping ban, effectively ending his career.
- Kory Tarpenning athlete profile. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-10-15.
- United States Championships (Men 1943-). GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2014-10-15.
- UNITED STATES INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS (MEN). GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2014-10-15.
- SUMMER OLYMPICS THE SPIRIT FLAMES ANEW The Seoul Olympics began with spectacle in the stadium and serenity outside it. Sports Illustrated (1988-09-26). Retrieved on 2014-10-16.
- Can Oriental medicine improve sports performance?. Derry Journal (2007-10-05). Retrieved on 2014-10-16.
- Chinese herbal medicine can enhance performance in sports. caythuocquy (2012-02-12). Retrieved on 2014-10-16.
- IAAF Newsletter n.43, June 2000, p. 11: IAAF Anti Doping News POSITIVE CASES IN ATHLETICS, PENDING HEARING OR SANCTIONED DEFINITIVELY, ACCORDING TO INFORMATION RECEIVED BY THE IAAF AS OF 5 JULY 2000
- Doping Suspensions. USA Track and Field (2003-12-18). Retrieved on 2014-10-15.
- Princess opens Starbucks . Monaco Life (2013-12-04). Retrieved on 2014-10-15.
|This biographical article about an American pole vaulter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|