Attala County Courthouse in Kosciusko
Location of Kosciusko, Mississippi
|• Total||7.6 sq mi (19.6 km2)|
|• Land||7.5 sq mi (19.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||479 ft (146 m)|
|• Density||982/sq mi (379.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0672213|
Kosciusko is located on the Natchez Trace Parkway, northeast of Jackson. It is named for the Polish general Tadeusz Kościuszko, who assisted United States military efforts during the American Revolution. However, the Anglicized name of the city omits the "z". Kosciusko was originally named Red Bud Springs for one of three natural springs that were present in the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.6 square miles (20 km2), of which 7.5 square miles (19 km2) is land and 0.13% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,372 people, 2,885 households, and 1,906 families residing in the city. The population density was 977.8 people per square mile (377.5/km²). There were 3,174 housing units at an average density of 421.0 per square mile (162.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 53.66% White, 44.57% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.60% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.06% of the population.
There were 2,885 households out of which 31.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.2% were married couples living together, 21.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.9% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 82.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,737, and the median income for a family was $29,000. Males had a median income of $27,423 versus $16,487 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,478. About 20.9% of families and 24.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.9% of those under age 18 and 20.1% of those age 65 or over.
The city of Kosciusko is served by the Kosciusko School District.
- Dave Barnes, singer-songwriter and musician (Razor & Tie)
- Eva Webb Dodd, founder, Delta Gamma Fraternity
- Clarence Harmon, NFL player
- James Meredith, civil rights figure
- Charlie Musselwhite, blues musician
- Roy Oswalt, baseball player
- Oprah Winfrey, television host/personality (Harpo Productions), who lived in Kosciusko up to age six
- Marc Woodard, NFL player
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Kosciusko has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Kosciusko city, Mississippi". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Kosciusko, Mississippi