Papanikolaou in warm-ups with Olympiacos
|No. 16 – Houston Rockets|
July 31, 1990 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 48th overall|
|Selected by the New York Knicks|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Konstantinos "Kostas" Papanikolaou (Greek: Κωνσταντίνος "Κώστας" Παπανικολάου; born July 31, 1990) is a Greek professional basketball player who plays for the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He also represents the Greek national basketball team in the international competitions. Standing at 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m), he plays the small forward position.
Papanikolaou began playing basketball with the youth teams of Proteas Grevenon and Aris, and he made his pro debut in the Greek League, with Aris, during the 2008–09 season. He was named the MVP of the Greek Youth All-Star Game in 2009. He was also named the Greek League's Best Young Player in 2009.
On September 14, 2009, Papanikolaou signed a five-year, €1.3 million deal with Olympiacos after Olympiacos paid a €950,000 buyout fee to Aris to secure his player rights. Papanikolaou's contract with Olympiacos had an NBA buyout clause worth €1 million.
With Olympiacos, he won the Euroleague and Greek League championships in 2012. Papanikolaou was voted the Euroleague Rising Star for the Euroleague 2012–13 season. With Olympiacos, he also won the 2012–13 season Euroleague championship.
On July 20, 2013, Papanikolaou signed a four-year deal with Spanish League club FC Barcelona after Barcelona bought Papanikolaou out of his contract with Olympiacos, paying a transfer buyout fee of €1.5 million to Olympiacos, and giving Papanikolaou a contract worth €5.5 million during the contract's first three years (the 4th optional year would be at an additional salary). The contract included NBA buyout clauses in the amounts of €1.1 million for 2014, and €750,000 for 2015.
Barcelona went on to win the 2013–14 Spanish Liga ACB championship.
On June 28, 2012, Papanikolaou was selected with the 48th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft by the New York Knicks. On July 16, 2012, his rights were acquired by the Portland Trail Blazers via a trade that sent Raymond Felton to the Knicks.
On September 23, 2014, Papanikolaou signed with the Houston Rockets.
As a member of the junior national basketball teams of Greece, Papanikolaou won the silver medal at the 2007 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship and the gold medal at the 2008 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship. He also won the silver medal at the 2009 FIBA Under-19 World Championship. Papanikolaou also won the gold medal at the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship, where he was also named to the All-Tournament Team and won the MVP award.
In August 2009, he made his debut with the senior men's Greek national basketball team in a friendly game. He then won the silver medal at the 2010 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship with Greece's junior national team, where he was also named to the All-Tournament Team. With Greece's senior national team, he then played at FIBA EuroBasket 2011, the 2012 FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament, FIBA EuroBasket 2013, and the 2014 FIBA World Cup.
Awards and accomplishments
- Greek Youth All-Star Game: MVP: (2009)
- 2x Greek League Best Young Player: (2009, 2012)
- 2x Greek Cup Champion: (2010, 2011)
- 2x Euroleague Champion: (2012, 2013)
- Greek League Champion: (2012)
- 2x Greek League Best Five Team: (2012, 2013)
- Greek League All-Star: (2013)
- Euroleague Rising Star: (2013)
- Spanish League Champion: (2014)
Greek national team
- 2007: FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Silver
- 2008 Albert Schweitzer Tournament: Gold
- 2008: FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Gold
- 2009: FIBA Under-19 World Championship: Silver
- 2009: FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: Gold
- 2009: FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: All-Tournament Team
- 2009: FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: MVP
- 2010 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: Silver
- 2010: FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship: All-Tournament Team
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The Euroleague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season, he also played in domestic competition.
|†||Denotes seasons in which Papanikolaou won the Euroleague|
|Led the league|
- Best young player, Papanikolaou
- OLYMPIACOS nabs prospect Papanikolaou
- Πάει στην Μπαρτσελόνα ο Παπανικολάου! (Greek)
- Παπανικολάου: "Ο καθένας μπορεί να γράφει ό,τι θέλει" (Greek)
- "Rising Star Trophy winner: Kostas Papanikolaou, Olympiacos Piraeus". Euroleague.net. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- FC BARCELONA lands Kostas Papanikolaou!
- Πάει στην Μπαρτσελόνα ο Παπανικολάου! (Greek)
- Interest from Houston for “Pap”, not offer yet
- ΑΠΟΚΛΕΙΣΤΙΚΟ: Πάει Μπαρτσελόνα ο Παπανικολάου! (Greek)
- Knicks Acquire Felton & Thomas
- "TRAIL BLAZERS ACQUIRE THOMAS ROBINSON FROM HOUSTON". NBA.com. July 10, 2013. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- "Rockets Sign Kostas Papanikolaou". NBA.com. September 23, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- GOLDEN GREEKS CONQUER FRANCE
- MVP ALBICY HEADLINES ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Kostas Papanikolaou at acb.com (Spanish)
- Kostas Papanikolaou at draftexpress.com
- Kostas Papanikolaou at esake.gr (Greek)
- Kostas Papanikolaou at eurobasket.com
- Kostas Papanikolaou at euroleague.net
- Kostas Papanikolaou at FIBA.com
- Kostas Papanikolaou at nbadraft.net