Kosterhavet National Park
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (December 2011)|
|Kosterhavet National Park|
|Area||388.78 km2 (150.11 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Environmental Protection Agency|
Kosterhavet National Park is the first national marine park of Sweden and was inaugurated in September 2009. It is located in Strömstad and Tanum municipalities in Bohuslän, Västra Götaland County, Sweden. It consists of the sea and shores around the Koster Islands, however excluding the islands themselves. To the north, it borders the Norwegian marine park of Ytre Hvaler.
The environment is unique to Swedish waters. Over 6,000 marine species have been identified, about 200 of them not to be found elsewhere in Sweden. The Kosterfjord is 200 m (660 ft) deep with comparably low temperature – 5 to 7 °C (41 to 45 °F) – and high salinity (about 35%). Brachiopod, sponge and coral larvae are brought in by currents from the Atlantic. Rare seabirds, such as arctic terns and skuas, along with a large population of harbour seals find their nesting grounds here. Plaice, cod and sea trout breed in the more shallow waters closer to the shore.
Professional fishing is allowed although special regulations apply. This is an important fishery for Pandalus borealis as well as the Norwegian lobster. Fishing is not subject to environmental protection but instead fishery laws and an agreement from 2000.
- "Kosterhavet National Park". Naturvårdsverket (Swedish Environmental Protection Agency). Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "Kosterhavets webbplats" [Website of the Kosterhavet Marine National Park] (in Swedish). Västra Götaland County Administrative Board. 10 September 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Kosterhavet planeras bli Sveriges första marina nationalpark" (in Swedish). Naturvårdsverket. Retrieved 2009-06-26.
- "Sveriges första marina nationalpark" [Sweden's first marine national park] (in Swedish). Svenska Dagbladet. 19 March 2009. Retrieved 26 June 2009.
- "Kosterhavet". Naturvårdsverket. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- Bengt Frizell (ed). "Kosterhavet". Västra Götaland County Administrative Board. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Ansvarsfullt yrkesfiske i marin nationalpark" [Responsible fishery in marine national park] (in Swedish). Swedish Board of Fisheries. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kosterhavet.|
- Kosterhavets webbplats (Swedish)
|This Sweden-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This protected areas-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|