|• Body||Pune Municipal Corporation|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||411 038, 411 029|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Pune|
|Civic agency||Pune Municipal Corporation|
|Distance from Pune||8 KM|
Kothrud, known Kothrud Baag in the era of the Peshwas, is the western suburb of the city of Pune, Maharashtra in India. Situated relatively near the center of an industrialized city, it has seen rapid growth in housing, making it one of the fastest developing suburbs in Asia in the 80s. Kothrud is now one of the upmarket areas of Pune, with real estate prices being quite high.
Old landmarks in Kothrud include the Dashabhuja temple and the Mrityunjaya temple with history dating back to the Peshwa times. Kothrud is where Bajirao Peshwa's second wife Mastani used to stay.
Kothrud mainly consists of the area around Karve Road and Paud Road.
Paud Road begins from Paud Phata, and leads to Chandani Chowk and the Pune-Mumbai Highway through Bhusari colony. Housing development is spread on both sides of Paud road. Karve Road begins from Deccan and ends at Warje.
Kothrud is serviced by the PMPML Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited, and has two main bus depots - Kothrud Depot and Kothrud Stand. Buses connect it to other parts of Pune like Nigdi, Hadapsar, Railway station and Swargate. A new terminus "Kumbre Park", located on the D.P. Road has also started operating PMPML buses to major parts of Pune city, a couple of years back.
The total population is estimated to be around 2 lakhs.
Kothrud is home to numerous information technology companies like Persistent Systems, Tech Mahindra, Cognizant, Harbinger Systems, Harbinger Knowledge Products, Synise Technologies and e-Zest Solutions Ltd. It also houses manufacturing plant of Cummins India, one of the largest manufacturers of engines and minor manufacturing activity by Kirloskar Group. The Automotive Research Association of India is situated in Kothrud.
Kothrud is well known for its educational institutions, drawing students from all over India, from other countries of the Indian subcontinent, other Asian countries and Africa. The presence of the large student population is an integral part of the economy and culture.
- Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship Development (IMED), Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- Raja Shri Shivray Pratishthan's New India School
- Abhinava Vidyalaya English Medium School
- Abhinava Vidyalaya Marathi Medium School
- MVM's Panditrao Agashe School, Law College Road
- MES Bal Shikshan Mandir English Medium School, Mayur Colony
- MES Institute of Management and Career Courses, Mayur Colony
- Maharashtra College Of Science and Commerce, Rambaug Colony
- Jog High School, Mayur Colony
- JETS Jog College for Science and Commerce
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology Engineering College
- MIT Management Institute
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Management Institute
- Eklavya College
- City International School
- MKSSS's Cummins College of Engineering for Women
- Kaveri Educational Trust
- Sanskriti School
- New India School, Bhusari Colony
- J.P.Naik Education Center
- Millennium National School
- Vimal Vidya Kunj
- Marathwada Mitra Mandal's College Of Engineering, Pune.(MMCOE)
- Shree Sadguru Baba Maharaj Sahastrabudhe Vidyamandir
- Mahilashram High School
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Paranjape Vidya Mandir
- CityPride Kothrud
- Yashwantrao Chavhan Natya Gruha
- MES Bal Shikshan Mandir Auditorium
- Karnataka High School's Kannada Sangha auditorium (Jagannath Shetty Auditorium)
Some of the prominent hospitals include:
- Jog Hospital, Paud road
- Sahyadri Hospital Opposite Vanaz
- Krishna Hospital, Paud road
- Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, Erandwane
- Sutar Hospital (run by the PMC), Kothrud gaonthan
- Abhinav Hospital
- Patel Hospital
- Shashwat Hospital
- Deoyani super speciality Hospital
It also includes some of the most renowned health clubs in Pune like Club Solaris and Gold Gym, Talwalkar's Gym
- Sahawas Hospital, Karvenagar
- Big Bazaar
- Jai Hind
- Kothrud Bus Stand outlets
- Bhalerao, Sai. "Kothrud". maps of india. Retrieved 15 January 2012.