|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kottaram is a village located in Kanyakumari district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Kottaram the word origin from Malayalam meaning Palace. So Kottaram means not only a village but also a Palace because 18th & the beginning of the 19th century Kottaram village was ruled by Travancore Maharajas and they have constructed Gust Houses for them. In 1947 August 15 India got independence from British and Sri Vallabhai Pattel initiated to divided India as States and the states divided into Districts according to the regional language and the present Kottaram village became part of Tamil Nadu.
This village used to be a resting place for the Travancore Maharajas. This landmark, called the Chathiram (Free lodge), is occupied by businesses now. A government hospital, Sub-Register office, and Post Office are main landmarks in the junction. Another place worth mentioning is the small Ram temple that had been built at Nandavanam (Garden of flowers).
People from surrounding villages flock to Kottaram. It is very close to Kanyakumari, Vattakottai, and Marunthuvazh Malai. The Government fruit farm and a bi-weekly farmers market (Thali Aruthaan Chanthai) are also nearby.
As of 2001[update] India census, Kottaram had a population of 9450. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Kottaram has an average literacy rate of 84%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 87%, and female literacy is 82%. In Kottaram, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Schools in Kottaram
- The "Government Higher Secondary School" has produced many scientists, engineers, doctors and other professionals.
- There is a school for Deaf and Dumb run by CSI at the Mission Compound.
- Mahendra nursery & primary school
- CSI Nursery And Primary School run by the Kanyakumari CSI Diocese in church campus.
Temples in Kottaram
- Sri Veeramani Swami Temple
- Sri Karpagha Vinayagar Temple
- Devi Muttharamman Temple
- Arulmighu Sri Ramar Temple
- Ayya Vaikundar Temple
- Sri Narayanswamy Temple
- Sundari Amman Temple
- Sri Krishna Pathi Temple
- Devi Muttharamman Temple
- Jegadeeswari Amman Temple
- Aathangari Esakkiamman Temple
- Chandana Mari Amman Temple
- Arulmighu SudalaiMadaSwami Temple
- Thalavai Madaswami Temple
- Sri Thillaiyandi Ayyanar(Sastha) swamy temple.
Churches in Kottaram
- Atchenkulam CSI Church
- St.Judes Church
- The CSI District Church,Mission Compound,Kottaram
- Perumalpuram CSI Church
- Periavillai CSI Church
- IPC Church Mission compound
Hospitals in Kottaram
- Government Primary Health Center
- Kandaswamy Hospital [ Dr. Kandaswamy ]
- Rajasekaran Hospital [ Dr.P.A.RajaSekaran ]
- Chitra Hospital [ Dr.P.A.RajaSekaran ]
- Jeyan Hospital [ Dr.Jayan, Dr.Jenet ]
- Kuttikan Memorial Homoeo Clinic [Dr.Christin Ebenezar.R.]
- Neela Hospital [Dr.Krithika]
Apart from these, there is a veterinary hospital for animals.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Atchenkulam C.S.I Church". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 30 May 2014.