287 series 3-car EMU on a Kounotori service, March 2011
|Service type||Limited express|
|Locale||Tokaido Main Line, Fukuchiyama Line, Sanin Main Line|
|First service||12 March 2011|
|Current operator(s)||JR West|
|Rolling stock||287 series/381 series EMUs|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC overhead|
The Kounotori (こうのとり Kōnotori?) is a limited express train service operated by the West Japan Railway Company (JR West) between Shin-Osaka and Kinosaki Onsen in Japan since 12 March 2011. It uses new 287 series electric multiple units in addition to existing 183 series and 381 series EMUs, and replaces the previous Kitakinki services.
Service pattern and station stops
14 down services (Kounotori 1–27) from Shin-Osaka and 13 up services (Kounotori 2–26) to Shin-Osaka run daily, with the journey time from Shin-Osaka to Kinosaki Onsen taking approximately 2 hours 45 minutes.
Kounotori services stop at the following stations. (Stations in parentheses are not served by all trains.)
Shin-Osaka - Osaka - Amagasaki - Takarazuka - Sanda - (Shin-Sanda) - (Aino) - Sasayamaguchi - (Tanikawa) - Kaibara - (Kuroi) - Fukuchiyama - (Wadayama) - (Yōka) - (Ebara) - (Toyooka) - (Kinosaki Onsen)
The following rolling stock is used on Kounotori services.
- 287 series EMUs (since 12 March 2011)
- 381 series 4/6-car EMUs (from 12 March 2011 to 31 May 2011, and from 1 June 2012)
Former rolling stock
- "JR西日本 287系デビュー時に特急「北近畿」を「こうのとり」に改呼" [JR West to rename "Kitakinki" as "Kounotori" with debut of 287 series]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (320): p.73. December 2010.
- JR Timetable, February 2011 issue
- "平成23年春ダイヤ改正について" [Spring 2011 timetable revision details] (pdf). JR West news release (in Japanese). West Japan Railway Company. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "新型車両（287 系）追加投入の詳細" [Details of further introduction of new (287 series) trains] (pdf). JR West news release (in Japanese). West Japan Railway Company. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "JR西日本 381系福知山車ＦＥ編成が営業運転開始" [JR West: Fukichiyama-based 381 series FE sets enter service]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (340): p.75. August 2012.
- "JR西日本の183系が定期運用を終了" [JR West 183 series withdrawn from scheduled services]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kounotori.|
- JR West 183 series Kounotori (Japanese)
- JR West 287 series Kounotori (Japanese)
- JR West 381 series Kounotori (Japanese)