Kouts Town Hall
Location in the state of Indiana
|• Total||1.12 sq mi (2.90 km2)|
|• Land||1.12 sq mi (2.90 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||682 ft (208 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,913|
|• Density||1,677.7/sq mi (647.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0437448|
Kouts is a town in Pleasant Township, Porter County, Indiana. The population was 1,879 at the 2010 census. Since 2000, Kouts has had a population growth of 10.66 percent. Bernhardt Kautz moved here from Pennsylvania, before the arrival of the railroads, and established a farm where the town now sits. With the arrival of the Chicago and St. Louis Railroad in 1865, Kautz and his brother-in-law H.A. Wright laid out the town and established a store. Known as Kouts Station, the town grew slowly until the Chicago and Erie Railroad intersected the line in Kouts. Soon, Kouts became the social and economic center of the township.
Kouts is located at (41.315434, -87.027536).
According to the 2010 census, the town has a total area of 1.12 square miles (2.9 km2), all land.
- State Route 8 goes west to Hebron and east through LaCrosse to Marshall County.
- State Route 49 goes north past Valparaiso to end at the Indiana Dunes State Park on Lake Michigan and south to State Route 14 in central Jasper County.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,879 people, 719 households, and 524 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,677.7 inhabitants per square mile (647.8 /km2). There were 753 housing units at an average density of 672.3 per square mile (259.6 /km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.6% White, 0.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.1% of the population.
There were 719 households of which 37.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.2% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 27.1% were non-families. 22.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.09.
The median age in the town was 35.5 years. 27.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 32.2% were from 25 to 44; 21% were from 45 to 64; and 13.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
Kouts is served by the East Porter County School Corporation. It has two schools, Kouts Middle/High School and Kouts Elementary School. Kouts is also home to the East Porter County School Corporation's central administration office which oversees the operation of four other public schools in Porter County. Kouts schools spend an average of $4,027 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $5,678. There are about 18.7 students per teacher.
- "Places: Indiana". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Kouts town, Indiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Kouts Centennial;, 1865-1965; Centennial Committee; Kouts, Indiana; Sept 2-6 1965
- Porter County, Interim Report, Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory; Indiana Dept of Natural Resources and Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana; July 1991, page 87
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kouts, Indiana.|