|Established||March 7, 1923|
|• Administration||Sergey Andreev |
|• Council||Volodymyr Ponomarenko|
|• Total||2,660 km2 (1,030 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code||+380 4646|
Kozelets Raion (Ukrainian: Козелецький район, Kozelets'kyi raion) is one of the 22 administrative raions (a district) of the Chernihiv Oblast in northern Ukraine. Its administrative center is located in the urban-type settlement of Kozelets. Its population was 61,636 in the 2001 Ukrainian Census and 49,636 in 2011[update].
The Kozelets Raion is located in the southwestern part of the Chernihiv Oblast, corresponding to the modern-day boundaries of the Polissia historical regions. To its west and south, it borders upon the Vyshhorod and Brovary Raions of the Kiev Oblast. Its total area constitutes 2,660 square kilometres (1,030 sq mi), constituting 8.3 percent of the total area.
As part of a full-scale administrative reorganization of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, the Oster Raion was created on March 7, 1923, as an administrative entity of the Nizhyn Okruha; later in July of that year, the Kozelets Raion was also created. During the Holodomor, 508 people died throughout 36 settlements in the Kozelets Raion.
The Kozelets Raion is divided in a way that follows the general administrative scheme in Ukraine. Local government is also organized along a similar scheme nationwide. Consequently, raions are subdivided into councils, which are the prime level of administrative division in the country.
Each of the raion's urban localities administer their own councils, often containing a few other villages within its jurisdiction. However, only a handful of rural localities are organized into councils, which also may contain a few villages within its jurisdiction.
Accordingly, the Kozelets Raion is divided into:
- 1 city council—made up of the city of Oster
- 2 settlement councils—made up of the urban-type settlements of Desna and Kozelets (administrative center)
- 40 village councils
Places of interest
- "Head of raion state administration". Kozelets Raion State Administration (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Raion council". Kozelets Raion State Administration (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Kozelets Raion, Chernihiv Oblast". Regions of Ukraine and their Structure (in Ukrainian). Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Raions of the oblast / Kozeletskyi Raion". Chernihiv Oblast Council (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Historical reference". Kozelets Raion State Administration (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Regional Landscape Park Mizhrichynskyi". Ukraina Incognita (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Kozelets. Cathedral of the Nativity". castles.com.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 26 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kozelets Raion.|
- "Main Page". Kozelets Raion State Administration (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Official site". Kozelets Raion Council (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 25 March 2013.
||Brahin Raion, Gomel Region, Belarus||Chernihiv Raion||Kulykivka Raion|
|Vyshhorod Raion, Kiev Oblast
|Desna River||Brovary Raion, Kiev Oblast||Bobrovytsia Raion|