September 17, 1945|
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
|Died||June 10, 2011(aged 65)|
|Institutions||Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology|
|Alma mater||Nagoya University|
Sugiyama was born on September 17, 1945 in Gifu Prefecture, Japan. He did both his undergraduate and graduate studies at Nagoya University, earning a doctorate in 1974. He then worked for Fujitsu until 1997, when he became a professor at the Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. At JAIST, he became a center director in 1998, dean in 2000, and vice president in 2008. He died on June 10, 2011.
In the 1990s, Sugiyama also served as one of the directors of the Information Processing Society of Japan.
Sugiyama is best known for his work with Tagawa and Toda introducing layered graph drawing, now also known as Sugiyama-style graph drawing. Sugiyama also wrote highly cited papers on other topics in graph drawing including maintenance of the "mental map" when a drawing is modified, drawings that simultaneously display both the adjacencies between vertices in a graph and a hierarchical structure on the same vertices, and the control of edge orientations in force-based algorithms.
Sugiyama was the author of several books on graph drawing and knowledge engineering. His book Graph drawing and applications for software and knowledge engineers (World Scientific, Series on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Vol. 11, 2002, ISBN 978-981-02-4879-6) is a translation into English of a 1992 Japanese book that was the first book in any language on the subject of graph drawing. His book Knowledge Science (with Atsushi Shimojima and Akiya Nagata) was also translated into Korean (BADA Publishing, 2005).
- Curriculum vitae from JAIST, retrieved 2011-09-25.
- Eades, Peter; Hong, Seok-Hee; Misue, Kazuo (2011), "Kozo Sugiyama 1945–2011", 19th International Symposium on Graph Drawing, p. 1.
- Sugiyama, Kozo; Tagawa, Shōjirō; Toda, Mitsuhiko (1981), "Methods for visual understanding of hierarchical system structures", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-11 (2): 109–125, doi:10.1109/TSMC.1981.4308636, MR 0611436.
- Misue, Kazuo; Eades, Peter; Lai, Wei; Sugiyama, Kozo (1995), "Layout adjustment and the mental map", Journal of Visual Languages & Computing 6 (2): 183–210, doi:10.1006/jvlc.1995.1010.
- Sugiyama, Kozo; Misue, Kazuo (1991), "Visualization of structural information: automatic drawing of compound digraphs", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 21 (4): 876–892, doi:10.1109/21.108304.
- Sugiyama, Kozo; Misue, Kazuo (1995), "Graph drawing by the magnetic spring model", Journal of Visual Languages & Computing 6 (3): 217–231, doi:10.1006/jvlc.1995.1013. A preliminary version of this paper was published as Sugiyama, Kozo; Misue, Kazuo, "A simple and unified method for drawing graphs: Magnetic-spring algorithm", Graph Drawing, DIMACS International Workshop, GD '94, Princeton, New Jersey, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 894, Springer-Verlag, pp. 364–375, doi:10.1007/3-540-58950-3_391.
- List of books from Sugiyama's JAIST web site, retrieved 2011-09-25.