|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
The Skadar Frontier (Montenegrin and Serbian: Skadarska Krajina/Скадарска Крајина, Albanian: Kraja), also known simply as Krajina (Крајина, pronounced pronounced [krâjina]) is a geographical region in southeastern Montenegro stretching from the southern coast of Lake Skadar to the mountain of Rumija, comprising several villages. It is inhabited mainly by Albanians and Montenegrins. The area is divided between municipalities of Bar and Ulcinj.
The region is located near the border with Albania near the coast of the Adriatic Sea. It is located between Crmnica and Ana Malit and stretches out from Ckla to Šestani, its border villages. It is also between Skadar Lake and the Rumija mountain. It mainly consists of villages, Ostros being its most populated and Bobovište (Pop. 230 (2003))
Krajina encompasses the following villages:
- Arbneš / Arbëneshi
- Bobovište / Boboshti
- Ckla / Skje
- Kostanjica / Kështenjë
- Mali Ostros / Ostrosi i Madhë
- Martići / Martiqi
- Tejani / Ftjani
- Veliki Ostros / Ostrosi i Madhë
Šestan is an extension of Krajina, encompassing the following villages:
- Besa / Besë
- Donja Briska / Brisku i Poshtëm
- Donji Murići / Muriqi i Poshtëm
- Gornja Briska / Brisku i Epërm
- Gornji Murići / Muriqi i Epërm
- Livari / Ljare
From the late 1960s to the early 1970s, thousands of locals migrated to countries throughout Europe and to the United States. Between 2,000 and 3,000 people are estimated to live in the Krajina region, with a majority of ethnic Albanians. The religious make-up is Muslim and Christian (Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic). Christians mostly reside in the Shestan region, with minorities in Livari, Briska and Tejani.
- Map of the region
- Pregled geografske literature o Balkanskom poluostrvu za ...: Revue de la littérature géographique de la péninsule Balkanique. 1895. "Скадарска Крајина. Овим именом се назива предео на југо-западној и јужној страни од је чије међе иду између атара црмничког Вир-Пазара, крајинског села Сеоца, венцем Румије на Р Убала, брдом Тарабошем де Бојане а за ..."