Kraken in popular culture
Although fictional and the subject of myth, the legend of the Kraken continues to present day, with numerous references existing in popular culture, including film, literature, television, video games and other miscellaneous examples (e.g. postage stamps, a rollercoaster ride and a rum product).
The Kraken appears in the 1981 film Clash of the Titans as a giant, four-armed humanoid with scales and a fishtail. A 2006 telemovie called Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep featured a different variation, while the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest included a more cephalopod-like creature that followed the commands of the similarly mythic Davy Jones. In the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans, the Kraken featured as a servant of the Olympian Gods.
The television series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea featured an episode called The Village of Guilt, in which a failed experiment creates a giant octopus which then terrorizes the population of a Norwegian fjord.
In 1830 Alfred Tennyson published the irregular sonnet The Kraken, which described a massive creature that dwelled at the bottom of the sea.
In Herman Melville's 1851 novel Moby Dick (chapter 59)  the crew of the Pequod encounter a "vast pulpy mass, furlongs in length". Starbuck calls it ' The great live squid, which, they say, few whale-ships ever beheld, and returned to their ports to tell of it.' Melville attributes this to Bishop Pontopiddan's "the great Kraken".
H. P. Lovecraft's novel The Call of Cthulhu, written in 1926, according to Cthulhu Mythos scholar Robert M. Price, has been inspired by Alfred Tennyson's sonnet. Both reference a huge aquatic creature sleeping for an eternity at the bottom of the ocean and destined to emerge from his slumber in an apocalyptic age.
John Wyndham's 1953 novel The Kraken Wakes features the sonnet written by Alfred Tennyson called The Kraken (1830), which described a massive creature that dwelled at the bottom of the sea; the story itself refers to an invasion by sea-dwelling aliens. The title is a play on Tennyson's line "The Kraken sleepeth".
Jack Vance's 1966 science fiction adventure novel The Blue World, based on an earlier 1964 novella The Kragen, depicts a world where natives must beware the kragen, giant, semi-intelligent squid-like predators which roam the ocean.
Versions of the Kraken appear in the video games Final Fantasy (1987), EarthBound (1994), The Ocean Hunter (1998), Fable: The Lost Chapters (2004), Age of Mythology (2002), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006), God of War II (2007), Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008), Darkfall Online (2009), Heroes of Newerth (2010), World of Warcraft (2004), Darkfall: Unholy Wars (2013) and Smite (2013).
A floating-point bug in the space flight simulator Kerbal Space Program which caused vessels at high speed and/or far away places to be disassembled and destroyed was named "Space Kraken" by the community. This name was adopted by the developers who named the fix for this bug "Krakensbane". 
- Under the Sea: The Kraken in Culture. Cgdclass.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Clash of the Titans (1981). IMDB.com
- Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep (TV 2006). IMDB.com
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006). IMDB.com
- Clash of the Titans (2010). IMDB.com
- The Village of Guilt (1964). IMDB.com
- "The Kraken" (1830). Victorianweb.org (2005-01-11). Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- archive.org Chapter LIX "The Squid" ..."There seems some ground to imagine that the great Kraken of Bishop Pontoppodan may ultimately resolve itself into Squid."
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne – Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists. Goodreads.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Robert M. Price, "The Other Name of Azathoth", introduction to The Cthulhu Cycle. Price credits Philip A. Shreffler with connecting the poem and the story.
- The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham – Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists. Goodreads.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- The Wishsong of Shannara (Shannara, #3) by Terry Brooks – Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists. Goodreads.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Kraken by China Miéville – Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists. Goodreads.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- "Final Fantasy Retrospective: Part I". GameTrailers. 2007-07-15. Retrieved 2008-10-16.
- Age of Mythology Heaven: Norse myth units. Aom.heavengames.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Geoff Duncan (October 26, 2006). "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Hits Retailers". Digital Trends. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- God of War 2 Guide & Walkthrough – PlayStation 2 (PS2) – IGN. Au.guides.ign.com (2007-04-27). Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Heroes Database Heroes of Newerth. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- Smite Gods. hirezstudios.com/smitegame/home Retrieved on 2013-03-01.
- KSP Wiki. Modding API
- Kraken Stamps. Pibburns.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- at. Orlandofloridaguide.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- The Kraken® Rum. Krakenrum.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.