|Member of the Indiana House of Representatives
from the 45th district
September 4, 1958 |
|Alma mater||Indiana State University|
Kreg Battles is a Democratic member of the Indiana House of Representatives, representing the 64th District since 2006. In 2009, he was elected chairman of the House Committee on Elections and Apportionment Committee and Vice Chair of the House Standing Committee on Commerce, Energy, Technology, and Utilities. Due to redistricting, he was moved to the 45th district in 2012.
Battles supported the state mandated purchase of syngas through coal gasification technology. Developers of Leucadia National proposed a $2.6 billion syngas plant in Rockport, Indiana. Under the terms of the deal endorsed by Battles, the state of Indiana would have bought syngas under a 30-year contract and then mandate that utilities within the state pass on any losses from the transaction on to Hoosier customers. Gas from the plant would make up about 17 percent of the state's supply. The deal received criticism due to government intrusion in the energy markets, and for forcing consumers to sign up for risky long-term gas purchases at prices substantially higher than market prices. Questions were also raised due to Leucadia National hiring Mark Lubbers to promote the deal. Lubbers is a former aide and close friend of former Governor Mitch Daniels. The project was ultimately panned by the state legislature in 2013.
- "Indiana advances leadership in clean coal technology". Governor's Office. March 2009. Retrieved 2012-02-015. Check date values in:
- Bradner, Eric (February 14, 2012). "Vectren: Shale-gas boom makes Rockport coal-to-gas deal risky". Indiana Economic Digest. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Bradner, Eric (February 15, 2012). "Indiana House committee hears testimony on planned Rockport coal-to-gas plant". Evansville Courier & Press. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Evanoff, Ted (January 2, 2011). "Daniels takes natural gas bet that others refused". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Welsh, Gary (May 1, 2011). "Lubbers: Critics Of Coal Gasification Deal Are Sneaky And Evil". Advance Indiana. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Bradner, Eric (2013-04-27). "BRADNER: Rockport plant will never be". Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Indiana State Legislature - Representative Kreg Battles Official government website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Kreg Battles (IN) profile
- Follow the Money - Kreg Battles
|This article about an Indiana politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|