From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up Kreis in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- In Germany, a Kreis is a district or county
- In Prussia, a Kreis was a district or county
- In the Holy Roman Empire a Reichskreis (Imperial Circle) was a regional association of several principalities
- In the Swiss canton of Graubünden the 11 districts are divided into 39 Kreise (circles)
Kreis may also be a surname.
Possible origins and meanings of the surname are:
- German: nickname for a noisy person, from Middle High German kreiss, kreisch ‘cry’, ‘noise’.
- German: topographic name for someone who lived by a circular feature, from Middle Low German kreis (Middle High German kreiz) ‘circle’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): from German Kreis ‘circle’, ‘circular field’, ‘border’.
People with this surname include:
- Jason Kreis (born 1972), American soccer player
- Wilhelm Kreis (1873–1955), German architect
- Lorenz Kreis (born 1958), Swiss Agronom
In music and culture:
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.