|Born||Ram Kripalu Tripathi
5 October 1922
|Died||15 November 2013
New Delhi, Delhi, India
He was the preceptor of Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat (JKP), a worldwide Hindu non-profit organization with 5 main ashrams; four in India and one in the USA. JKP Radha Madhav Dham is one of the largest Hindu Temple complexes in the Western Hemisphere, and the largest in North America.
He received the title of Jagadguru (world teacher) at the age of 34 by Kashi Vidvat Parishad (the oldest and most recognised body of Varanasi's intellectuals) on Makar Sankranti day, 14 January 1957.
Birth and early life history
Kripaluji Maharaj was born on Sharad Purnima, the full moon on the month of Sharad (5 October 1922), as Ram Kripalu Tripathi in Mangarh district Pratapgarh, near Allahabad, in India. He received his preliminary education in Hindi and Sanskrit in the local school. He went on to study advanced Sanskrit and Ayurved in Indore and Varanasi and spent a year or more around Chitrakoot. After completing his formal education, at the age of 16, he entered into self-imposed vanvas. He found his way to Vrindavan and the next year he emerged as a Guru known affectionately as Shree Maharajji. When he was 17 years old, he led a 6 month continuous chanting of the "maha mantra".
In 1955 Kripalu Maharaj organized a religious convention for prominent spiritual leaders in India. Mahamahopadhyay Giridhar Sharma, President of the Kashi Vidvat Parishad had also come and was impressed by Kripaluji Maharaj's scriptural knowledge. Kripalu Maharaj was invited to give discourse at the Kashi Vidvat Parishad in 1957.
The congregation had scholars from Varanasi and other parts of India. His speeches lasted for seven days, after which he was formally installed as the fifth Jagadguru ("world teacher"). He was 34 years old when given the title on 14 January 1957, by the Kashi Vidvat Parishad, a group of Hindu scholars. The Kashi Vidvat Parishad also conferred on him the titles Bhaktiyog-Ras-Avtar and Jagadguruttam.
According to Kripalu Maharaj, "the desired goal of the soul is to attain the selfless Divine love of Radha Krishn who are eternally related to you". He taught that Radha Krishna are the supreme 'form' of God and the 'form' of Divine Love and are eternally related to us.
Kripalu Maharaj's discourses are broadcast daily on several religious TV channels, including Aastha TV, Sadhna TV, News 24 and Sanskar TV. In the United States, his discourses are also broadcast every weekday on TV Asia. In his TV discourses, Kripalu Maharaj quoted the chapter and verse of everything he cited.
Ashrams and temples
Kripaluji Maharaj was the founder and preceptor of Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat (JKP), a worldwide Hindu non-profit religious organization with four main ashrams in India, (Rangeeli Mahal, Barsana; Bhakti Dham, Mangarh; Shyama Shyam Dham, Vrindavan and Jagadguru Dham, Vrindavan) and one in the USA (Radha Madhav Dham, Austin). Besides these 5 main ashrams, Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat has established a number of teacher centres in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Fiji Island, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Nepal, Ireland, Scotland, Singapore, Trinidad, West Indies, United Kingdom and in many cities throughout India and USA. The organization also publishes a Hindi magazine, Sadhan Sadhya, three times a year, as well as a monthly newsletter.
- For further information see: Prem Mandir Vrindavan
Prem Mandir is a religious and spiritual complex in Vrindavan. Construction of Prem Mandir began on January 2001 and the inauguration ceremony took place from 15 February to 17 February 2012. The temple was opened to public on 17 February. The cost was 150 crore rupees ($23 million). 30,000 tons of Italian marble, carved with specialized KUKA robotic machines, have been used in the construction. The presiding deity are Shri Radha Govind (Radha Krishn) and Shri Sita Ram. A 73,000 square feet, pillar-less, dome shaped satsang hall is being constructed next to Prem Mandir, which will accommodate 25,000 people at a time.
Kripalu Maharaj established two free hospitals. The Jagadguru Kripalu Chikitsalay, Mangarh and Jagadguru Kripalu Chikitsalay (Barsana) are serving rural populations of 1,000,000 within their catchment radius of 80–100 km each and each treating 600 – 700 patients daily. The expenses are all borne by Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat.
A secular educational Institution is being financed and run by Kripalu Maharaj's educational trust, Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat Education (JKP Education), which provides underprivileged women and girls free education up to post graduation level. JKP Education runs three colleges for girls in Kunda, Uttar Pradesh (Kripalu Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Kripalu Balika Primary School and Kripalu Balika Intermediate College).
Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat also donates money for disaster relief, including Rs. 10 lacs for the aid of Bhuj Earthquake victims in 2001, Rs. 25 Lacs for Tsunami victims in 2004 and again Rs. 2 Crore for Bihar flood victims in 2008. In May 2013, Kripalu Maharaj donated Rs.1 crore to the Chief Minister's Relief fund for the victims of the Uttarakhand floods.
In 2013, Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat Education president Vishakha Tripathi received the Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award, the Mother Teresa Excellence Award and the Nari Shakti Award for work providing free education to 5000 girls and women in rural India.
- Prem Ras Siddhant - The philosophy of Divine love. It was first published (in Hindi) in 1955. Later it was published is several other languages of India. It has been described as an Incredible Book by Swami Sivananda among others.
- Bhakti Shatak - The concise philosophy of the Upnishads, Gita, Brahm Sutra and the Bhagwatam in an easy to understand style
- Radha Govind Geet - Printed in two volumes, with eleven thousand one hundred and eleven couplets of Radha Krishn leelas and the devotional philosophy
- Prem Ras Madira - 1008 songs (pad) of Radha Krishn leelas, devotional philosophy and humbleness
- Yugal Shatak - One hundred kirtans of Radha Rani and Krishn
- Yugal Ras - Kirtans of Radha Krishn
- Shree Krishn Dwadashi and Shree Radha Trayodashi - Twelve pad in which he has fully described the beauty and the decorations of Krishn, and thirteen pad about the beauty and the decorations of Radha Rani
Renditions of Shree Maharajji's bhajans and kirtans have been recorded by singers such as Manna Dey and Anuradha Paudwal. Anup Jalota has also agreed to release several CDs of his compositions.
- "JKYOG Magazine". JKYOG.
- "Radha Madhav Society, US". RMS, US. Radha Madhav Society.
- "Spiritual Guru Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj passes awa". Zee News. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Hutton, F. 2012. Rose Lore: Essays in Cultural History and Semiotics. Lexington
- Singh, K. 28 January 2007. Varanasi seer’s memory is phenomena. Tribune India.
- Ex-Nepalese King Gyanendra meets Indian Spiritual guru. 02/10/2008. Asian News International.
- "Maharaj Ji Kripalu". Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Walker, J.K. 2007. The Concise Guide to Today's Religions and Spirituality. Harvest House Publishers.
- Grigonis, Richard (8 November 2013). "13 of America's Most Fascinating Cathedrals and Houses of Worship". Newsmax Media. Newsmax. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- Radha Madhav Dham. The Harvard Plurism Project.
- Vedic Foundation Inaugurated at Barsana Dham, Austin. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- Ciment, J. 2001. Encyclopedia of American Immigration. Michigan: M.E. Sharpe
- Hylton, H. & Rosie, C. 2006. Insiders' Guide to Austin. Globe Pequot Press.
- Mugno, M. & Rafferty, R.R. 1998. Texas Monthly Guidebook to Texas. Gulf Pub. Co.
- Melton, G. 2003. The Encyclopedia of American Religions. Gale
- Saraswati, S. 2001. The true history and the religion of India: a concise encyclopedia of authentic hinduism. Motilal Banarsidass
- Hashmi, Lubna (15 January 2011). "Figure of Divine Love: Jagadguru Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj". Aaj Ki Khabar. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- "A Wisdom Archive on Jagadguru Kripaluji Maharaj". Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Kripalu Maharaj". Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Singh, K. 29 January 2007. Without people or drink. The Telegraph.
- The Meaning of Makar Sankranti and Jagadguru Divas. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Pandey, V.K. 2007. Encyclopaedia of Indian philosophy - Part 1. Delhi: Anmol Publications
- Csordas, T. 2009. Transnational transcendence: essays on religion and globalization. University of California Press.
- Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj on TV Asia
- Singh. K. Saturday, 4 March 2006. Tricks memory plays. The Tribune
- Regular Satsang Programs. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- Sadhan Sadhya. Retrieved 19 Dec 2011.
- JKP Monthly Newsletter. Retrieved 19 Dec 2011.
- JKP Ashrams. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- Singhal, A. 25 February 2011. Foundation stone of Satsang Bhawan to be laid on in Prem Mandir. Indilive.com. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.[dead link]
- Singhal, A. 1 Mar 2011. Foundation stone of renowned Satsang Bhawan laid by Jagadguru Kripaluji Maharaj. Indlive.com. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.[dead link]
- Kumar, M. 13 February 2012. [Kripaluji Maharaj's Prem Mandir will be inaugurated on 17th February http://www.aajkikhabar.com/en/News/Region/Kripaluji-Maharaj-s-Prem-Mandir-will-be-inaugurated-on-17th-February/690284.html]. Aaj Ki Khabar
- Agratoday News Service. 1 July 2010. Dream Of “एक झोंपड़ी हो कृष्ण के बृज में” Now Becomes A Reality. Retrieved 28 Dec 2011.
- Jagadguru Kripalu Chikitsalaya. 25 Jul 2011. Aaj Ki Khabar. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- Free Cataract Workshop organized by Jagadguru Kripalu Chikitsalaya Mangarh, Kunda. 25 Jul 2011. Aaj Ki Khabar. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- JKP Hospitals. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Singhal, A. 20 Nov 2010. "Jagadguru Kripalu Chikitsalaya", a hand for the poor. Indialive.com. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Trust donates Rs one crore for Uttarakhand victims. 26 Jun 2013. Sahara Samay
- Sinha, L. 5 Dec 2011. Utthan 2011: Annual Function at Kripalu Mahila Mahavidyalaya. Pranam India. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Jagaduru Kripalu Parishat Education. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Contributions to PM's relief fund cross 200 crore mark. Retrieved 16 Dec 2011.
- Kripaluji donates Rs.1 crore for Uttarakhand victims. Wed 26 Jun 2013. IANS
- Jagadguru Kripalu Parishat Education gets Rajiv Gandhi Global Excellence Award. IANS. 23 May 2013
- Trust honoured for educating the girl child. IANS. 2 Sept. 2013
- Education trust of Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj honoured. IANS. 11 May 2013
- Prem Ras Siddhant (ISBN 1-881921-08-5) lth 5 & 6, le Kripaluji Maharaj
- "The Literature Revealed by Kripaluji Maharaji". Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Prem Ras Madira". Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Kinnear, M. 1985. A discography of Hindustani and Karnatic music. Greenwood Press.
- Video Keertans by Shri Kripalu Ji Maharaj. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- Rang De with Anup Jalota at Radha Madhav Dham, Austin. 20 Oct 2011. Indo-American News. Retrieved 15 December 2011.