Kris Moyes, Australian Director, lecturing at TodaysArt in Den Haag, The Netherlands
|Born||Kristoffer Stephen Hope Moyes
30 October 1978
|Years active||2006 - present|
In 2005 he directed The Presets "Are You The One?" which utilized a large array of film techniques that playfully proposed answers to who the "one" is. The video also featured a digital artifact motif he developed by interrupting the transfer of DIVX files of original footage from a PC to a MAC computer, to which many homage videos were made.
Moyes has had close ties to Modular Records since 2005. He is probably better known for his videos for Softlightes and The Presets. In 2008 Moyes directed a traditional performance based music video for Wolfmother "White Unicorn" on the condition that Pav, the head of Modular Records allowed him to deface his own work and re-release it, under the pseudonym Banditobruce. The piece of subterfuge was a reference to Marcel Duchamp's Readymade, L.H.O.O.Q.
Moyes has also directed four music videos for Sia Furler. His first video for Sia's "Buttons" in 2007 was linked by Perez Hilton on his blog and received over 300,000 views in one day, becoming the No.1 Most Linked Music Video and No.2 Most Viewed Music Video on YouTube.
In 2010 Moyes directed and co-wrote a satirical short film, called "City Limits" featuring costumes by Australian fashion label, Romance Was Born. It was screened at ASVOFF (A Shaded View on Fashion Film) at the Centre Pompidou, Paris.
Moyes has also been exhibited alongside John Baldessari, Brian Bress, Miranda July, Peter Sutherland, Paper Rad, Melanie Bonajo, Michael Gondry, Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham, Mark Romanek and Floria Sigmondi.
Over the years, Moyes has appeared in a number of publications including, L.A. Times, Esquire, Tokion, The Open Day Book and The New York Times where he was invited alongside Jeff Koons, Banks Violette, Oscar de la Renta and The Campana Brothers to re-design the ' T ' Logo for The New York Times Style Magazine.
- Kirin J. Callinan - W II W
- The Rapture - Sail Away
- The Presets - My People
- Sia - Buttons
- Softlightes - Microwave
- Architecture in Helsinki - Heart it Races
- Softlightes - Heart Made of Sound
- Wolfmother - White Unicorn (defaced)
- The Presets - Are You The One?
- City Limits
Exhibitions and screenings
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Victoria
- Dortmund U-Tower, Germany
- Marfa Film Festival, Texas
- 53rd Krakow Film Festival, Poland
- Sugar Mountain Festival, Victoria
- Gutenberg Museum, Germany
- Chalk Horse Gallery, New South Wales
- Egoist TV, Russian Federation
- Zubroffka International Short Film Festival, Poland
- Digital Marrakech Festival, Kingdom of Morocco
- Remote Gallery, Spain
- Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, California
- The Centre Pompidou, France
- Dendy Cinema, New South Wales
- Rooftop Cinema, Victoria
- Space15Twenty, California
- Microcinema, California
- Monster Children Gallery, New South Wales
- Museum of Contemporary Art, New South Wales
- FIVECC, Spain
- The New York Times 'T' Magazine, New York
- Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
- Kassel Documentary Film & Video Festival, Germany
- Los Angeles Film Festival, California
- ViMus Film Festival, Portugal
- Kinofest Film Festival, Romania
- Melbourne International Film Festival, Victoria
- RESFest USA, Europe & Asia
- Lumen Eclipse Media Arts Gallery, Massachusetts
- Austin Museum of Digital Art, Texas
Awards and nominations
- Sydney Music, Art & Culture Awards (2013) Best On Screen - Kirin J. Callinan - W II W
- Triple J Awards (2012) Best Music Video - Kirin J. Callinan - W II W
- ARIA Awards (2010) Best Music Video - Sia "Clap Your Hands"
- ARIA Awards (2008) Best Music Video - The Presets "My People"
- D&AD Awards (2008) nominee Best Music Video - The Presets "My People"
- MVPA Awards (2008) nominee Best Direction of a Female Artist - Sia "Buttons"
- MVPA Awards (2008) nominee Best Electronic Music Video - The Presets "My People"
- MVPA Awards (2007) nominee Best Video Produced for Under $25,000 - Wolfmother "White Unicorn (defaced)"
- MVPA Awards (2007) nominee Best Animated Music Video - The Softlightes "Heart Made of Sound"
- ARIA Awards (2006) nominee Best Music Video - The Presets "Are You The One?"
- Australian Dance Music Awards (2006) - The Presets "Are You The One?"
- Antville MV Awards (2006) Best Unknown/Unsigned Director
- Cam Cam Club Mentorship Program, Australia
- Splendour in the Grass, Australia
- College of Fine Arts, Australia
- Monash University, Australia
- Swinburne University, Australia
- College of Fine Arts, Australia
- Semi-Permanent, Australia
- FIVECC, Spain
- TodaysArt, The Netherlands
- Ray Tintori (Director) (10 February 2009). Chairlift - "Evident Utensil". Antville. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Nabil Elderkin (Director) (1 April 2009). Kanye West - "Welcome to Heartbreak". Boards Magazine. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Wolfmother - "White Unicorn (defaced)"". antville videos. 9 June 2006. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Sia - "Buttons". CMJ New Music Monthly Dec 2007. December 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Carousel Microcinema". Carousel Microcinema. 19 Jan 2010. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Main Street - An Exhibition of New Video and Animation". Space15Twenty, Gallery Space. October 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Spectacle: A Music Video Exhibition". Australian Centre for the Moving Image. September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "The Best Commercials of 2010". Esquire (magazine). 29 December 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "The Open Day Book". Random House. 30 November 2010. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "T: The New York Times Style Magazine". T: The New York Times Style Magazine. 14 September 2007. Retrieved 21 May 2011.