Krishnamoorthy (also spelled Krishnamurthy, Krishnamoorthy, Krishnamoorthy, or Krishnamurthi) is a South Indian name.
Etymology and usage
It refers to the Hindu deity Krishna. "Murti" or "murthy" means "form" in Sanskrit, so the name translates as "in the form (or image) of Krishna". In most cases it is a given name; however it may also be a family name, or it may have been westernized into a surname.
Non-Indian nationality is noted when known.
- Bhadriraju Krishnamurti (1928–2012) – Dravidian linguist
- Jana Krishnamurthy (1928–2007) – politician
- Jiddu Krishnamurti or J. Krishnamurti (1895–1986) – philosopher
- Kalki Krishnamurthy (1899–1954) – writer, journalist and Indian independence activist
- Kavita Krishnamurthy (Kavita Subramaniam) (born 1958) – film playback singer
- Nedunuri Krishnamurthy (born 1927) – artist and art educator
- Muniandy Krishnamurthi or Krishnamurthi Muniandy (born 1980) – Malaysian cricketer
- Perumal Krishnamurthy (born 1943) – athlete, field hockey player, coach and manager
- Pochiah Krishnamurthy (1947–1999) – cricketer
- Puranik Krishnamoorthy or Krishnamoorthy Puranik (1911–1985) – educator and writer
- Purniah Narasinga Rao Krishnamurti or P. N. Krishnamurti (1849–1911) – lawyer and civil administrator
- Raja Krishnamoorthi (born 1973) – former Deputy Treasurer of the State of Illinois, US
- S. Krishnamurthi – former Hyderabad cricketer
- S. Krishnamoorthy – politician
- Soorya Krishnamoorthy (born 1951) – impresario of Indian arts and culture
- Subramanian Krishnamoorthy – writer
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi – actress, writer, painter and singer
- Sudhakar Krishnamurti (born 1957) – medical doctor
- T. N. Krishnamurti – meteorologist and academic
- Taruvai Subayya Krishnamurthy or T S Krishnamurthy (born 1941) – former Chief Election Commissioner of India
- Uppaluri Gopala Krishnamurti or U. G. Krishnamurti (1918–2007) – philosopher
- Vasudeva B. Krishnamurthy; botanist
- Yamini Krishnamurthy (born 1940) – Indian traditional and folk dancer
No other name
- Krishnamurthi (Northern Punjab cricketer) – cricketer, full name unknown
- Krishnamurthi (Southern Punjab cricketer) – cricketer, full name unknown
- "Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary: mUrcha-vat" (jpg [scanned document]). Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries. Cologne: Institute of Indology and Tamil Studies, Cologne University. "Mūrti" (p. 824, col. 1). Retrieved 2011-09-09.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|