Dörfer was the older of two children. She and her younger brother grew up with their mother in Wurzen until she was eighteen years old. Dörfer learned to play the violin at primary school. She performed as a singer for the first time when she was ten years old in her home town, and after that she was hired for various events in the region.
In 2002, she reached the "Top 20" at RTL II for the Show Teenstar. In the same year, she was presented with the Bravo Award for the project 1000 Schulen in Bewegung. The presentation was in Europa-Park and had an audience of 10.000.
After moving to the Ruhr Area, Dörfer started her professional singing career in two bands in the Dortmund area in parallel. With the Soulsukkers, she sang soul music, and with Soundset, a cover band, she sang rock and pop music.
The following year, Dörfer was selected by ProSieben for the Popstars – Jetzt oder nie program, and on 8 December 2004 was chosen as a member of the band created by the series, Nu Pagadi. The first single of the band, Sweetest Poison reached number one in the German charts. The first album, Your Dark Side, reached number one in the German charts for one week. The band broke up in September 2005 nine months after being formed.
Dörfer, who had moved to Munich at the beginning of 2005, started a solo career from October 2005. She was given a contract by Edel Music. After appearing in concerts in various countries in Europe, her first single, Room For More, was released in October 2006. The single reached number 10 in the charts in Finland and number 51 in the Czech Republic. Škoda used the song for advertising the Roomster model.
In 2008, she was a member of the casting jury for the musical Frühlings Erwachen, the German language edition of Spring Awakening. In September 2010 she and Joscha Kiefer (her former co-worker on "Verbotene Liebe") welcomed a daughter named Julie Marie. Her second daughter was born in April 2013.
- 2006: Room For More
- CZ: 51 – 44/2006 – 1 week
- FI: 10 – 42/2006 – 2 weeks
- since 2006: Verbotene Liebe: Olivia Schneider
- "Kris". Biography. edel AG. Retrieved 2009-01-01.[dead link]
- "Kristina Dörfer". Viva TV. Retrieved 2008-12-30.[dead link]
- Linneweber, Silke (2008-01-10). [backPid=9&cHash=f60130b1e3 "Pop: Stehaufmännchen"]. My Mercury. Retrieved 2008-12-30.[dead link]
- "Kristina Dörfer als Olivia Schneider". ARD. Retrieved 2008-12-30.
- "Frühlings Erwachen – Das Rock-Musical lud zum Casting ein!". News. TKS Ticket-Service & Veranstaltungen. 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2008-12-30.