Kristina Maria, Luxy Nightclub's showcase, Toronto.
|Birth name||Kristina Maria Chalhoub|
May 14, 1989 |
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
|Genres||Pop, R&B, dance, R&B|
Born to two Lebanese parents and raised in Ottawa, Kristina joined her school's choir as a second-grader, and wrote her first song in her third grade. Continuing to write poems and setting them to music, at 12, she participated in talent shows in Ottawa and spent time in local studios recording demos. She also enrolled in dance classes and took formal lessons at the Canadian Conservatory of Music in Ottawa singing in many different styles, from pop to opera to R&B.
With her mother acting as her manager, Kristina performed at state fairs and exhibitions. In 2005, her vocal coach put her in a group named The Showstoppers with seven other girls and sent them to Florida to sing medleys of ABBA songs and Motown hits at theme parks like Disney World, Universal Studios and SeaWorld. In the summer of 2009, veteran music industry executive Vito Luprano (Céline Dion, Garou) heard some of her recordings and arranged to record some of her renditions.
Her debut single "Let's Play" peaked at number 19 on the Canadian Hot 100, on June 11, 2011 followed by "Co-Pilot" that reached number 26 on the Canadian Hot 100, prompting her to record a bilingual English/French version with Corneille and a hit in French Singles Chart. Her third single, "Our Song Comes On" reached number 23 on the Canadian Hot 100 in 2012.
Kristina went on tour in Canada in 2011, promoting release her debut album, Tell the World released on April 10, 2012. She went on tour with two members of Blueprint Cru of America's Best Dance Crew and alongside her was her DJ from Fredericton, New Brunswick, DJ Nasty Naz.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Notes|
|Tell the World||—||Tracklist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|2011||"FML X2"||—||—||—||Tell The World|
(featuring Laza Morgan)
|2012||"Our Song Comes On"||23||—||—||
(featuring JC Chasez)
|2013||"You Don't Have the Right to Cry"||97||—||—||Non-album single|
|"Bang U Up"||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
- "Kristina Maria". Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- Maria, Kristina. "About Kristina". Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- B, Kenny. "Kristina Maria with Kenny B". Retrieved 27 June 2011. More than one of
- "http://acharts.us/song/61259". Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- Ultratop.be/fr: Kristina Maria page
- LesCharts.com: Kristina Maria page
- "Canadian digital certifications – Kristina Maria – Let's Play". Music Canada.
- "Canadian digital certifications – Kristina Maria – Co-Pilot". Music Canada.
- "Canadian digital certifications – Kristina Maria – Our Song Comes On". Music Canada.