|— Bodybuilder —|
August 28, 1980 |
Longview, Texas, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||In Season: 135 lb (61 kg)
Off-Season: 160–170 lb (73–77 kg)
|Pro-debut||IFBB Ms. International, 2008|
|Best win||NPC Nationals, 2007|
Early life and education
Kristy Hakwins was born and raised in Longview, Texas in 1980. In 1994, she started attending Longview High School. In 1998, she graduated from high school and started attending Texas A&M University that same year. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from Texas A&M University in 2002, graduating summa cum laude and with University and Foundation Honors. She earned a Master of Science in Chemical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in 2005. She graduated from Caltech in 2008 with a Ph.D. in chemical engineering.
In 1999, Kristy worked as an intern for the Eastman Chemical Company and from 2000 to 2002 she worked again as an intern for the Solutia Inc. From November 2008 to August 8, 2013, she moved to Emeryville, California where she got a job as scientist for metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae at Amyris Inc. Since August 19, 2013, she has working as director of yeast engineering for the company Lygos.
In elementary school, Kristy described herself as very heavy. She took dance lessons and became a twirler, but she said she wasn't active enough and didn't have proper eating habits. She suffered from anorexia nervosa, which lead her to starve herself. She eventually got into the gym to burn calories. At first she started with cardio and than weight training. At the age of 15 years old, she got her own gym membership and went every day after school and work. The owners were hosting a competition and taught her the basics of training, nutrition, and posing. At the age of 17, she traveled with some people from her gym to Mississippi for an ANPPC show and placed 3rd in the novice women’s short class. She has twice placed in the top four at the NPC Nationals. In November 2007, she won the light-heavyweight and overall at the NPC Nationals and received her IFBB pro card.
Since 2011, she has semi-retired from professional bodybuilding, but still maintains her bodybuilding physique.
- 1998 ANPPC Mississippi Open - 3rd (Novice Women Short Class)
- 1998 AAU Mr/Mrs Southwest America - 1st (Novice Women Medium Class) and Best Poser
- 1999 AAU Mr/Mrs Southwest America - 1st (Open Women Short Class) and Best Poser
- 2000 ANPPC Southwest USA Natural Bodybuilding Championships - 3rd (Novice Women Short Class)
- 2002 NPC Michigan Championships - 1st (LW)
- 2002 NPC Pittsburgh Open - 3rd (LW)
- 2003 NPC Ronnie Coleman Classic - 1st (MW)
- 2003 NPC Pittsburgh Open -1st (MW & Overall)
- 2003 NPC Lone Star Classic - 1st (HW & Overall)
- 2003 NPC Jr. Nationals - 4th (MW)
- 2004 NPC Jr. Nationals - 5th (LHW)
- 2004 IFBB North Americans - 4th (LHW)
- 2005 NPC Nationals - 4th (LHW)
- 2006 NPC Nationals - 3rd (LHW)
- 2007 NPC Nationals - 1st (LHW & Overall)
- 2008 IFBB Ms. International - 14th
- 2009 IFBB Alantic City Pro - 2nd
- 2009 IFBB Ms. Olympia - 7th
- 2010 IFBB New York Pro - 10th
Best lifts (for reps)
- Squat - 365 lb
- Deadlift - 335 lb
- Bench press - 225 lb
- Dumbbell curls - 50 lb
- Dumbbell rows - 140 lb
- Lat pulldown - 260 lb
Kristy is an agnostic. She was for a time in a serious relationship with bodybuilder Branden Ray, but is now single. She currently lives in Emeryville, California. She currently plays CrossFit for the CrossFit Oakland team (CFO).
- Kristy Hawkins
- The official website of Kristy Hawkins
- Kristy Hawkins
- Kristy Hawkins Facebook
- "Hawk the Doc". IronMagazine. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 3/7/2013. Check date values in:
- "Female Bodybuilding Interview of the Month". fbbfan.com. August 2009. Retrieved 3/7/2013. Check date values in:
- Hooked: Muscle Women - Part 1 of 6
- IFBB Professional Bodybuilder KRISTY HAWKINS!
- Bodybuilder Kristy Hawkins Uses Science & Strength To Play
- "Kmhawk". OkCupid. Retrieved 3/7/2013. Check date values in:
- Athlete: Kristy Hawkins