Kristy Lee Cook
|Kristy Lee Cook|
Cook signing autographs during the American Idols LIVE! Tour 2008
January 18, 1984 |
Arista Nashville (2001, 2008)
Broken Bow Records (2010-Present)
Kristy Lee Cook (born January 18, 1984) is an American country singer who was born in Seattle, Washington and was the seventh place finalist on the seventh season of American Idol. In 2005, Cook released her debut album called Devoted. In June 2008, Cook signed to 19 Recordings and Arista Nashville. She released her post-Idol album Why Wait on September 16, 2008. This album has produced her first chart single "15 Minutes of Shame", a Top 30 hit on the Billboard country charts. Her debut single for Broken Bow Records, "Airborne Ranger Infantry," was released on October 16, 2012.
Personal life 
Kristy Lee Cook was born in Seattle, Washington, to Larry and Carlene Cook. Her brother-in-law is quarterback John Dutton of the Arena Football League. She lives in Nashville, Tennessee. She became engaged to landscape company owner Andy Dobner in 2008, but Cook announced via her personal Facebook page in 2010 that they were no longer engaged.
Early career 
In 2001, at the age of 17 Kristy Lee signed her first contract with BMI. According to her RMG page, Kristy Lee signed with RCA Records/Arista Nashville in 1999, and was the first artist signed to Britney Spears' production company. Spears agreed to make a cameo appearance in her first music video. However, RCA placed Kristy Lee and other younger artists on hold and then dropped her.
Kristy Lee then moved to Dallas, Texas, in an attempt to pursue her career and gain more experience. She began modeling and was featured in commercials. In 2005, Ren-Hen Records released her debut album Devoted. During this time, Kristy Lee performed for two years at Cowboy's nightclub in Arlington, Texas, singing 8 songs per night with the band "Six Shooter".
In 2007, Kristy Lee returned to Selma, Oregon to prepare for the American Idol audition. To raise funds for her audition and travel expenses, she sold her "really good" barrel horse. She had hoped to earn enough money to repurchase her horse upon her return. However, the night she was eliminated, she commented that the person to whom she sold her horse was unwilling to sell it back.
American Idol 
Kristy Lee auditioned for American Idol in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by singing "Amazing Grace". All three judges liked her voice and sent her straight through to Hollywood. While in Hollywood, her first song did not impress the judges. For her second and final chance, she sang "Amazing Grace" again; she was then selected as one of the top 24 contestants in the semi-finals. She was the first female performer of the season and sang "Rescue Me". The judges did not care for her performance but gave her props since she was the first of the night and she had bronchitis. On March 12, Cook was placed in the bottom 3 alongside Syesha Mercado and David Hernandez. She was declared safe. On March 19, she was placed in the bottom three again with Carly Smithson and Amanda Overmyer, but she survived again, ensuring herself a spot in the American Idol Top 10 Concert Tour for the upcoming summer. Once again, on April 2, she was placed in the bottom 3 alongside her 2 roommates, Ramiele Malubay and Brooke White. Malubay was eliminated.
|Week #||Theme||Song choice||Original artist||Order #||Result|
|Top 24 (12 Women)||1960s||"Rescue Me"||Fontella Bass||1||Safe|
|Top 20 (10 Women)||1970s||"You're No Good"||Betty Everett||5||Safe|
|Top 16 (8 Women)||1980s||"Faithfully"||Journey||5||Safe|
|Top 12||Lennon–McCartney||"Eight Days a Week"||The Beatles||11||Bottom 21|
|Top 11||The Beatles||"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"||The Beatles||2||Bottom 22|
|Top 10||Year They Were Born||"God Bless the USA"||Lee Greenwood||9||Safe|
|Top 9||Dolly Parton||"Coat of Many Colors"||Dolly Parton||7||Bottom 23|
|Top 8||Inspirational||"Anyway"||Martina McBride||4||Safe|
|Top 7||Mariah Carey||"Forever"||Mariah Carey||5||Eliminated|
- ^Note 1 When Ryan Seacrest announced the results for this particular night, Cook was among the Bottom 3 but declared safe second when David Hernandez was eliminated.
- ^Note 2 When Ryan Seacrest announced the results for this particular night, Cook was among the Bottom 3 but declared safe second when Amanda Overmyer was eliminated.
- ^Note 3 When Ryan Seacrest announced the results for this particular night, Cook was among the Bottom 3 but declared safe second when Ramiele Malubay was eliminated.
Post Idol 
After American Idol, Cook has been interviewed on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Live with Regis and Kelly, and on WNYW in New York. Cook performed with the other top 10 finalists on the American Idols LIVE! Tour 2008 which ran from July 1, 2008 to September 13, 2008. She sang "Squeezin' the Love Outta You" (Redmon and Vale), "God Bless the USA" (Lee Greenwood), which she performed on Top 10 night during the season and "Cowgirls" (Kerry Harvick). In Toronto, she replaced "God Bless the USA" with "Anyway" (Martina McBride), which she performed on Top 8 night during the season.
Cook announced on June 29, 2008 that she had once again signed with Arista Nashville along with 19 Recordings. On August 12 of that year, "15 Minutes of Shame" was released as the lead-off single for Cook's upcoming studio album. It debuted at number 58 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts a week before its release, and has since peaked at number 28. Her album, Why Wait, was released on September 16, 2008 and produced by Nashville singer-songwriter Brett James. During the Season 10 finale of American Idol, Lauren Alaina's first single was "Like My Mother Does," which was featured on Why Wait.
In October 2008, Cook performed the Star-Spangled Banner at an NCAA football game between the Vanderbilt Commodores and Duke Blue Devils. On October 25 of that same year, Cook made her debut on the Grand Ole Opry. Arista Nashville announced on December 10, 2008 that Kristy Lee Cook and the label had parted ways. She has hosted The Outdoor Channel's "Outdoors 10 Best show", and has a reality show on the same network documenting her life called Goin' Country.
Broken Bow Records 
On October 16, 2012, Cook's first single, "Airborne Ranger Infantry", from Broken Bow Records was released. She was inspired to write the songs after reading poems written by her father, Larry Cook, about his experiences in the Army during the Vietnam War. "We took lines directly from the poems and put them into the song," Kristy says. "I wouldn't have written the song if my dad hadn't written those poems, because he doesn't really talk about much. The cool thing is that it gives perspective to someone who doesn't know what it's like to know how they feel and what they're experiencing. It was really important for us to make sure it was right, and exactly what they would say." 
Charity work 
Cook founded the Kristy Lee Horse Heaven Foundation, which specializes in caring for, saving and training horses. "I love horses with all my heart, and they have always been there for me through the good and the difficult times. The least I can do is to give back to them in appreciation of all they have done and meant to me." Cook also enters the horses in gymkhanas and other horse events. Donations are also welcomed to contribute to land, tack, hay, equipment and other items that will help out this foundation.
Studio albums 
|Title||Album details||Peak chart
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|US Country Airplay
|2008||"15 Minutes of Shame"||28||—||Why Wait|
|2012||"Airborne Ranger Infantry"||—||50||TBD|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
Music videos 
|2008||"15 Minutes of Shame"|
|2012||"Airborne Ranger Infantry"||Roman White|
- 06/30/2008 (2008-06-30). "Kristy Lee Cook Signs with 19 Recordings - Single Due 8/11, Album in the Fall". mjsbigblog. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "'American Idol' Finalist Kristy Lee Cook Signs With Arista Nashville". Fox News. June 30, 2008.
- "Kristy Lee Signs In Triplicate with Arista, Britney, and BMI". BMI. 2001-08-07.
- About Kristy Lee from her website
- American Idols LIVE! Tour 2008
- Cook's '15 Minutes'
- "Barca Blog - Price, Lofty and triangles - Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site". Vucommodores.cstv.com. 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Kristy Lee Cook Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut this Weekend @ Top40-Charts.com - Songs & Videos from 49 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 30 Countries". Top40-charts.com. 2008-10-24. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- Kristy Lee Cook, Arista part ways
- Kristy Lee Cook, Arista Nashville split
- Nashville, That (2009-10-08). "That Nashville Sound: Kristy Lee Cook To Host New TV Show On Outdoor Channel". Thatnashvillesound.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Goin Country with Kristy Lee Cook | Home". Goincountry.com. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- Posted Aug 5th 2010 3:00PM by Gayle Thompson Comments (2010-08-08). "Kristy Lee Cook Inks Deal With Broken Bow Records". The Boot. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Kristy Lee Cook Album & Song Chart History - Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Kristy Lee Cook Album & Song Chart History - Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "CMT : Videos : Kristy Lee Cook : Airborne Ranger Infantry". Country Music Television. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Official website
- Kristy Lee Cook at YouTube
- Kristy Lee Cook on Myspace
- Kristy Lee Cook at American Idol