||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
Biermann in 2013
No. 71 Atlanta Falcons
|Date of birth:September 12, 1985|
|Place of birth: Hardin, Montana|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 5 / Pick: 154|
|Debuted in 2008 for the Atlanta Falcons|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012
Kroy Biermann (born September 12, 1985) is an American football Defensive End for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Falcons in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Montana. He is married to Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kim Zolciak.
Biermann was born in Hardin, Montana. Kroy's parents and immediate family all have names that start with the letter "K". Wanting to keep the tradition going, Kroy's mom didn't like the standard names that started with "K", so she looked in the phone book, found a last name that started with "K" that she liked, and went with that.
Biermann earned eight letters at Hardin High School (Hardin, Montana): three in football; three in wrestling; and two in track. He was a First-team All-State pick and team captain as a junior and senior at linebacker. He was chosen First-team All-Conference at running back in 2002 and 2003. He participated in Montana's Annual East-West Shrine Game. Biermann was also one of the state's premier wrestlers at the A level and placed second in the state as a junior and senior. His senior year in wrestling he was team captain, had the most take-downs and most pins, and was voted his team's Most Valuable Wrestler.
Biermann played in 52 career games while totaling 220 tackles, 32 sacks (second-most in school history), 45 tackles for loss, nine forced fumbles, and seven fumble recoveries for the University of Montana.
In 2004, as a true freshman, Biermann played in 14 of 15 games and had seven tackles for a loss.
In the 2005 season, Biermann played in all 12 games and was the team’s fifth-leading tackler and was third on the team with seven sacks and tied for a team-high two fumble recoveries.
In 2006, Biermann made 78 stops and contributed with 11 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss in 14 games. Named a Walter Camp First-team Small College All-American, he was voted a Second-team Little All-America selection by both the Associated Press and The Sports Network. He also earned First-team All-Big Sky Conference.
Biermann was named the 2007 Big Sky Conference Defensive MVP after accumulating 70 tackles, 15 sacks, 18 tackles for a loss, and five forced fumbles during his senior season. Biermann became Montana's first-ever recipient of the Buck Buchanan Award in 2007, as well, given annually by The Sports Network to the top defensive player in Division I Football Championship Subdivision. He played outside linebacker in the 2008 Hula Bowl.
|Height||Weight||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20 ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6-3⅛*||241 *||4.75 **||X||X||4.30 **||6.83 **||35" **||9'09" **||29 *||28 *|
|* represents NFL combine; **represents Montana Pro Day— "X" Denotes "No Data" or "Did Not Participate"|
Biermann was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft (154 overall). Biermann posted his first career sack in a Week 13 match-up against the San Diego Chargers after tackling Chargers QB Philip Rivers and added a second in the season finale against the St. Louis Rams. He also contributed 14 tackles in 2008.
Biermann started off the 2009 season fast for the Falcons as he sacked Dolphins' QB Chad Pennington twice, forced a fumble and forced a holding call in the season opener. He also got a sack vs San Francisco in the Falcon's week 5 matchup. He now has a career high 3 sacks and one 2 sack game (career high). He took the starting left defensive end spot from 2007 first round pick Jamaal Anderson after his performance vs San Francisco.
On December 27, 2009, Biermann stepped in as the team's placekicker after an injury to kicker Matt Bryant during a game against the Buffalo Bills. Biermann, who had not kicked since high school, had kickoffs of 67, 58 and 54 yards.
On September 16, 2013, it was announced that Biermann had a torn Achilles tendon and would miss the rest of the 2013 season.
In May 2010, Kroy participated in Dancing Stars Of Atlanta charity event to raise money for Alzheimer's disease. There he met Kim Zolciak, and soon after she was pregnant. Their meeting was later shown on season three of The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Their son Kroy Jagger Biermann Jr. was born May 30, 2011. The couple wed at their rented Roswell, Georgia home on November 11, 2011. They have had three more children together: Kash Kade Biermann (born August 15, 2012) and twins daughter Kaia Rose and son Kane Ren, on November 25, 2013. Kim has two daughters from her previous boyfriend (Brielle (born February 25, 1997)) and first husband Daniel Toce (Ariana (born October 17, 2001)). In 2013 Kroy legally adopted his wife Kim's two daughters Ariana and Brielle.
- NFL (2008). NFL Draft Bio. Retrieved from http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/kroy-biermann?id=2664[dead link].
- NFL (2008). NFL Combine Profile. Retrieved from http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kroy-biermann?id=2664.
- AP (2010-10-10). Falcons survive for 4th straight win as late INT dooms Browns. ESPN, 10 October 2010. Retrieved from http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=301010005.
- Ledbetter, D. Orlando (2013-09-16). Falcons Kroy Biermann, Bradie Ewing out for the season. AJC, 16 September 2013. Retrieved from http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/16/falcons-kroy-biermann-bradie-ewing-out-season/.
- Christianson, Emily (June 1, 2011). "Kim Zolciak, Kroy Biermann welcome baby boy". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Benzie, Mike (May 3, 2011). "Atlanta’s 'Real Housewife' Kim Zolciak to move into Roswell mansion". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on December 11, 2011.
- Hammel, Sara (November 11, 2011). "Kim Zolciak, Kroy Biermann Wed on 11/11/11". People.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (November 25, 2013). "Kim Zolciak Welcomes Twins, Baby Girl Kaia and Baby Boy Kane, With Husband Kroy Biermann". Us Weekly. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "Kim's daughter Brielle turns 13!". KimZolciak.com (official site). February 25, 2010.
- Martin, Lara (October 18, 2010). "'Housewives' Zolciak 'so happy, in love'". Zolciak tweet via DigitalSpy.co.uk. Archived from the original on December 19, 2011. "Happy Birthday to my angel @arianazolciak today she turns 9!!! Wow time flies by. I love you Ana-Bana"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kroy Biermann.|