Krzysztof Zanussi in 2010
June 17, 1939 |
|Occupation||Film producer and director|
Zanussi studied physics at Warsaw University (Uniwersytet Warszawski) and philosophy at the Jagiellonian University (Uniwersytet Jagielloński) in Kraków. He is the director of the Polish Film Studio TOR and has received several prizes and awards, including the David di Donatello Prize of the Accademia del Cinema Italiano, the Cavalier's Cross of the Polonia Restituta Order, and the Cavalier de L'Ordre des Sciences et Lettres.
Krzysztof Zanussi has written On editing an amateur film (1968), Discourse on an amateur film (1978) and a book of memoirs The Time to Die (1999). He appeared as himself in Camera Buff (1979), a film about an amateur film maker, directed by his friend Krzysztof Kieślowski. His film The Constant Factor (1980) received the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at the 1980 Cannes Film Festival. During the 1980s, he spent much of his time in the West. Among the films that he made during this time was a film entitled From A Far Country: Pope John Paul II (1981) about the life of Karol Wojtyła in the context of the complicated history of modern Poland. His 1989 film Inventory was entered into the 16th Moscow International Film Festival. His 2000 film Life as a Fatal Sexually Transmitted Disease won the Golden St. George at the 22nd Moscow International Film Festival. His 2002 film The Supplement was entered into the 24th Moscow International Film Festival where it won the FIPRESCI Special Mention.
Zanussi has described his 1996 film, At Full Gallop, as his most autobiographical work. It follows the director through several years of his boyhood in Poland under post-World War II Communism and subsequent career in oven design.
He is currently planning on directing an international production about the life and contributions of St. Hedwig of Poland, as well as a Polish-Ukrainian comedy.
According to the records of Institute of National Remembrance (IPN) since 1962 to 1964 Zanussi was registered without his consent as a secret collaborator of communist Służba Bezpieczeństwa codename "Aktor". He had several conversations with communist secret service officers, however he never began to act as a secret collaborator. Zanussi talks openly about his contacts with SB but denies any wrongdoing. The archives of IPN confirm his words.
In April 2013, he began shooting a film The Foreign Body starring e.g. Riccardo Leonelli, Agata Buzek, Agnieszka Grochowska and Weronika Rosati. The script to Foreign Body was written by Krzysztof Zanussi, the cinematography is performed by Piotr Niemyjski who worked on Bartek Konopka's Fear of Falling. Coproduced by Italian Revolver by Paolo Spina with Polish Tor Film and Russian Fora Film, the film's premiere is scheduled for 2014.
- The Structure of Crystals (1969)
- Życie rodzinne (Family Life) (1970)
- Behind the Wall (1971)
- The Illumination (1972)
- A Woman's Decision (1975)
- Camouflage (1977)
- Spirala (1978)
- Wege in der Nacht (Ways in the Night) (TV) (1979)
- The Contract (1980)
- The Constant Factor (1980)
- From a Far Country (1981)
- Die Unerreichbare (The Unapproachable) (TV) (1982)
- Imperative (1982)
- A Year of the Quiet Sun (1984)
- Wherever You Are (1988)
- Inventory (1989)
- Life for a Life (1990)
- The Silent Touch (1992)
- Weekend Stories (1996)
- At Full Gallop (1996)
- Our God's Brother (1997)
- Life as a Fatal Sexually Transmitted Disease (2000)
- Suplement (2001)
- Sesja Kastingowa (2002)
- Persona non Grata (2004)
- Black Sun (Il Sole Nero) (2007)
- And a Warm Heart (2008)
- Jacquinot: A Forgotten Hero (2009)
- Revisited (2009)
- Foreign body (film) (2014)
- Krzysztof Zanussi Faculty Website at the European Graduate School. Includes biography and filmography.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Constant Factor". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Krystztof Zanussi". Culture.pl. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "16th Moscow International Film Festival (1989)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "22nd Moscow International Film Festival (2000)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "24th Moscow International Film Festival (2002)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Zanussi był zarejestrowany przez SB". Tvn24.pl. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- [dead link]
- "PRODUCTION: Zanussi Begins Shooting The Foreign Body".
- "Filming for Zanussi’s Foreign Body Underway".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krzysztof Zanussi.|
- Krzysztof Zanussi Faculty Website @ European Graduate School. Biography and filmography.
- Krzysztof Zanussi at the Internet Movie Database
- Krzysztof Zanussi at the Internetowa Baza Filmu Polskiego (pl)
- Krzysztof Zanussi at culture.pl