Kumbla Railway Station
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kasaragod|
Kumbla (Kannada:ಕುಂಬಳೆ, Malayalam:കുമ്പള/കുംബള)) locally spelled as Kumble or Kumbala, is a small town located 11 km north of Kasaragod town and 12 km south of Uppala in Kasaragod District, Kerala. It is located at the mouth of a lagoon formed by the Shiriya river.
Recorded History and Religion
Kumbla was once the seat of the Kumbla Kings l, who ruled the southern part of Tuluva Kingdom. It was a small port in ancient times. In the 16th century A.D. (1514), Duarte Barbosa, the Portuguese traveller, visited Kumbala and he had recorded that he had found people exporting rice to the Maldives in exchange of coir When Tippu Sultan captured Mangalore, the Kumble Raja fled to Thalassery; but he returned in 1799 and after an unsuccessful fight for independence, submitted to the British Empire and accepted a small pension of Rs. 11,788 per annum in 1804. Partisubba, the great Yakshagana exponent, known as Father of Yakshagana was born here in the 18th century.
Examples of a few noted shrines in Kumble are:
- Sri Parthasarathi Temple, Mujungavu.
- Ananthapura Lake Temple, the only lake temple of Kerala, believed to be the Moola Sthanam of the well-known Padmanabhaswamy temple of Thiruvananthapuram.
- Arikkady Hanuman Mandira, which lies on the foot of Kumble Fort, which was built by the Keladi Nayakas who built Bekal Fort.
- Kana Dhumavathi Daivasthana (Kana Matta), which is one of the revered worshiping place for Havyaka Brahmin community. Dhumavathi Daiva is said to be brought from Ulalu Boodu (a place near to Kumble town) of Kadamannaya family.
- Sri Bhagavathi Ali Chamundi keshthra, Arikady, Parasthna kumbla .The Tayyam kshetra is worshiped by Hindus and Muslims together which sites the great example of Unity in Diversity by both dominant religions of India.
- " Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple , in Arikady East, owned by Devapoojithaya Family since more than 300years . The temple is having a Hanuman pillar in which lord hanuman appeared before Devapoojithay's in 1875 A.D and disappeared on the left pillar of the temple. The temple is very famous for "KARYASIDDHI" yajna performed by Devapoojithay Family, who are revered as the royal priests of Kumbale Raja Jayasimha. Several big Celebes's across India visits the place for worship abd Yajna.
- Sri Gopalakrishna Temple,situated at the heart of the town. This is one of the most revered temple in this area. It was one of four temples administered by the Maipady (nearby) king. The other temples are Madhuru Sri Madananteshwara Siddhi Vinayaka temple, Sri Parthasarathy Temple-Mujungavu and Sri Aduru Mahalingeshwara Kshetra.
- Shedikkavu Shiva Temple, situated on a hill opposite to the Sri Gopalakrishna Temple. It is said that Parthisubba wrote many of his Yakshagana songs at this temple.
- Gadde Mutt, one of the oldest temples in the town of Kumbla. This temple is surrounded on all the sides by paddy fields (called "gadde" in Kannada) hence the name Gadde Mutt. It is a temple belonging to Nayak family of Kumbla. It has a history of over two and a half centuries. It also has the Nagadevatha Gudi. It is one of the many GSB community temples in the town of Kumbla.
- bhakata's (a surname of gsb community) are very famous since four hundred years they residing in kumbala .they have a palace at madimogaru then migrated to Mali .in 1800 they shifted to bank of kumbala river near to gopalakrishna temple.they have their family deity santahanagopalakrishna temple it is also near to kumbala river. they have ware houses and very famous merchants
Kumbla is also famous for its annual festival called Kumbla Bedi Utsava, celebrated at the Sri Gopalakrishna Temple.
Anil Kumble, former captain of the Indian national cricket team takes his last name, indicating ancestry or family origins, from this town. Recently one of the Main Road to Govt Hospital was renamed as ANIL KUMBLE Road by cricketer Kumble himself in a recent function conducted by Kumble Panchayat.
- Kumbla is situated on NH-17. Daily minute by minute bus service connect Kumbla to Kasaragod and Mangalore via Uppala
- There is also a railway station in Kumbla. Three express trains and all passenger trains on that route halt there.
- The nearest airport is at Bajpe, Mangalore.
Kumbla town is situated very near to Arabian sea. In Kumbla town there is Muslim masjid. And also a Christian church (St.Monica Church) at Badiadka road.
There are many Govt. and non-Govt. educational institutions situated in Kumble.
- Govt.Senior Basic School, an upper primary school situated near the heart of Kumble Town.Over a century old, and has a number of experienced hands in teaching.
- Govt.Higher Secondary School, situated near Kumbla Police Station, the only Govt. Higher Secondary in Kumble.
- College of Applied Science Manjeshwer, an Institute managed by IHRD Kerala.Offering Under Graduate and Post Graduate Degrees in Computer Science and Electronics.
- Holy Family Aided Senior Basic School is situated at Badiadka Road, which celebrated its 75 years (Diamond Jubilee) in 2010.
- Kasargod District Information - Kerala Info @ New Kerala .Com
- "Kasaragod History".
- kumble, ravi. "kumble fort".
- The Tribune - Magazine section - Saturday Extra
- "Commitment keeps Kumble going". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 13 March 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kumbla.|