|Elevation||3,220 ft (980 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimates)|
Kumi Town, commonly refeered to as Kumi, is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center in Kumi District and is the location of the district headquarters. The district is named after the town.
Kumi is located approximately 65 kilometres (40 mi), by road, northwest of Mbale, on the highway between Mbale and Soroti. This location lies approximately 54 kilometres (34 mi), by road, southeast of Soroti, the largest town in the sub-region Kumi is located about 250 kilometres (160 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are:1°29'36.0"N, 33°56'15.0"E (Latitude:1.493334; Longitude:33.937500).
The national census in 2002 estimated the population of the town of Kumi at about 8,800. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at about 12,500. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Kumi Town at approximately 13,000.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- The headquarters of Kumi District Administration
- The offices of Kumi Town Council
- Kumi Central Market
- Kumi Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- The main campus of Kumi University, a private institution of tertiary education - Located about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi), west of the central business district of the town
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- The Mbale-Soroti Road - The road passes through town in a southeastern to northwestern direction
- "Distance Between Mbale And Kumi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Soroti And Kumi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Kampala And Kumi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Kumi, Uganda At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Kumi Town In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 1 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kumi.|