Kunia Regional SIGINT Operations Center
The Kunia Regional SIGINT Operations Center (KRSOC, also pronounced "KR-Sock"), also known as the Kunia Tunnel or the Regional Signals Intelligence Operations Center Kunia, was a United States National Security Agency facility that was located on Kunia Road between Kunia Camp and Wheeler Army Airfield in central Oahu, Hawaii. In 2012, this facility was replaced by a newly built operations center nearby.
In response to the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the installation was designed and built as a bomb-proof, underground open bay with a 250,000-square-foot (23,000 m2) floorspace to facilitate aircraft assembly in proximity to Wheeler Army Airfield. During the later part of World War II and in the decades that followed it was used primarily for cryptologic and intelligence activities.
Military units that occupied the structure include the U.S. Navy's Naval Security Group Activity Hawaii (a combination of the former NSGA Kunia and NSGA Pearl Harbor) and the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Corps 500th Military Intelligence Brigade.
The Kunia Tunnel has been replaced by the new NSA/CSS Hawaii Regional Security Operations Center. This facility is located near Whitmore Village on the island of Oahu and occupies the former site of the large, circular antenna at the Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station Pacific (NCTAMS PAC). The new center, officially named the CAPT Joseph J. Rochefort Building, was opened on January 6, 2012. The groundbreaking ceremony was held in 2007 and the construction contract was worth $318 million.
In May 2013, a worker at this facility, Edward Snowden, took a large number of classified documents and provided them to the press, revealing the existence of a number of top secret NSA mass surveillance programs.
- "Kunia RSOC Echelon Global Surveillance Station". Cryptome Eyeball Series. 2007-09-17. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- SFC Lawry, Sheryl; Aftergood, Steven (2008-10-20). "CW5 retires after 36 years of dedicated service". United States Army. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Wu, Nina (2009-08-18). "Blind businessman sues SBA for Web site access". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- Pike, John; Aftergood, Steven (2000-09-13). "Regional SIGINT Operations Center Kunia". Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "1. Kunia Tunnel". Wheeler Army Airfield Historic Guide. 2000-04-07. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- nsa.gov: NSA/CSS Unveils New Hawaii Center, January 6, 2012.
- Gertz, Bill (June 13, 2013). "Officials Worried Snowden Will Pass Secrets to Chinese". Washington Free Beacon. Archived from the original on June 14, 2013.
- Sanger, David E.; Perlroth, Nicole (June 15, 2013). "After Profits, Defense Contractor Faces the Pitfalls of Cybersecurity". New York Times. Archived from the original on June 16, 2013.
- NSA/CSS Unveils New Hawaii Center
- NSA-CSS Hawaii Regional Security Operations Center under construction (unofficial)