Kunia Regional SIGINT Operations Center
The Kunia Regional SIGINT Operations Center (KRSOC, also pronounced "KR-Sock"), also known as the Kunia Tunnel or the Regional Signals Intelligence Operations Center Kunia, is a United States National Security Agency facility. It is a secured installation located on Kunia Road between Kunia Camp and Wheeler Army Airfield in central Oahu, Hawaii.
In response to the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the installation was designed and built as a bomb-proof, underground open bay with a 250,000-square-foot (23,000 m2) floorspace to facilitate aircraft assembly in proximity to Wheeler Army Airfield. During the later part of World War II and in the decades that followed it was used primarily for cryptologic and intelligence activities.
Military complements that currently occupy the structure include the U.S. Navy's Naval Security Group Activity Hawaii (a combination of the former NSGA Kunia and NSGA Pearl Harbor) and the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Corps 500th Military Intelligence Brigade.
Once complete the National Security Agency Central Security Service's Hawaii Regional Security Operations Center presently under construction will replace operations at Kunia Tunnel. The facility, located near Whitmore Village, Oahu, occupies the former site of the large, circular antenna at the Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station Pacific, or NCTAMS PAC. The construction contract awarded is worth $318 million.
- "Kunia RSOC Echelon Global Surveillance Station". Cryptome Eyeball Series. 2007-09-17. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- SFC Lawry, Sheryl; Aftergood, Steven (2008-10-20). "CW5 retires after 36 years of dedicated service". United States Army. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Wu, Nina (2009-08-18). "Blind businessman sues SBA for Web site access". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Pike, John; Aftergood, Steven (2000-09-13). "Regional SIGINT Operations Center Kunia". Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "1. Kunia Tunnel". Wheeler Army Airfield Historic Guide. 2000-04-07. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Entrance to Kunia Tunnel reopens
- U.S. Army photo caption references tunnel
- Abandoned runway intended for use in conjunction with Kunia Tunnel
- NSA-CSS Hawaii Regional Security Operations Center under construction (unofficial)
|This United States government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hawaiʻi-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|