Kunming Changshui International Airport
Kūnmíng Chángshuǐ Guójì Jīchǎng
|View from roof of the airport terminal.|
|IATA: KMG – ICAO: ZPPP|
|Operator||Yunnan Airport Group|
|Serves||Kunming, Yunnan, China|
|Location||Changshui Village, Guandu District, Kunming|
|Elevation AMSL||2,103 m / 6,900 ft|
Kunming Changshui International Airport (IATA: KMG, ICAO: ZPPP) is the primary airport serving Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province, China. The airport is located 24.5 km (15.2 mi) northeast of the city center in a graded mountainous area about 2,100 m (6,900 ft) above sea level. The airport opened at 08:00 (UTC+8) on June 28, 2012, replacing the old Kunming Wujiaba International Airport, which will be demolished. As a gateway to Southeast and South Asia, Changshui Airport is a hub for China Eastern Airlines, Kunming Airlines and Lucky Air.
The new airport has two runways (versus the single runway at Wujiaba), and handled 30 million passengers in 2013 . In 2020, it is expected to handle 38 million passengers .
Construction began in 2009 and at the time was reported to be named the Zheng He International Airport. The very short construction time was marred by two separate incidents. The first incident occurred on January 3, 2010, when 7 construction workers died as an incomplete overpass collapsed. In another incident on June 28, 2011, 11 workers were injured when a tunnel that was under construction collapsed. Construction of the airport's main terminal was completed by July 2011.
The airport is the terminus of Line 6 of the Kunming Metro, which opened on the same day as the airport. It is also connected to Kunming by a 13 km toll highway, as well as Provincial Road S101.
Airlines and destinations
- "Newly-built Kunming Changshui Int'l Airport to be put into operation". 2012-06-08.
- Shi Guanglin (史广林) (25 November 2008). 投资230亿 昆明将拥有国家大型门户枢纽机场 (in Chinese). Chinanews Yunnan. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- 昆明新机场规划设计创新 (in Chinese). 2010-05-08.
- "China Eastern Airlines adds Kunming - Luang Prabang Service from July 2014". Airline Route. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "China Eastern to Start Kunming - Paris Service from late-Dec 2014". Airline Route. 22 October 2014. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "Lucky Air launches first international flight to Singapore" (Press release). Lucky Air. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Official website (Chinese)
- The Fourth Air Hub in China—Kunming International New Airport
- Photogalleries ,