|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2011)|
The word 'Kuppa' means a tunnel or cave, and 'Ghat" means place located on a river-bank. Accordingly, there is a cave at Kuppaghat which has been rendered famous and immortalized by Maharshi Mehi Paramhans, the legendary exponent of Santmat. Maharshi Mehi practiced surat shabd yoga or the Yoga of Inner Sound for several months here in this cave and later constructed his Ashram also; several yogis or spiritual aspirants can still be seen practicing the Yoga of Inner Light & Sound in this dark cave completely insulated from the din & bustle and brightness of the outside world. Maharshi Mehi Ashram blossomed under his dynamic leadership to become the national Headquarters of Akhil Bharatiya Santmat-Satsang. It has an aesthetically laid out garden and orchard beautifully punctuated with sculptures, paintings and quotes having spiritual significance like a cottage showing Lord Ram visiting great female devotee Shabri and killing of Jatayu, the vulture, at the hands of the demon king Ravana.
According to some unconfirmed accounts, Lord Buddha is also said to have lived in this cave in one of his previous births.
Maharshi Mehi Ashram, Kuppaghat, Bhagalpur has, over the years, grown into a sacred pilgrimage for millions of followers of Santmat from India and abroad. The auspicious occasions of the birth anniversary of Maharshi Mehi Paramhans and Maharshi Santsevi Paramhans, the successor of Maharshi Mehi, who also made this Ashram his main camp and residence, and Guru Purnima the Ashram draw lakhs of devotees presenting a celebratory environment impregnated with piety.
Maharshi Mehi Ashram by the river side is an ideal place for general tourists as well who love to spend their evenings here. The ashram hides an old subterranean passage leading to various destinations. Kuppaghat is, thus,included among the "must see" places in Bhagalpur in all the guide atlases or maps.
The Gurus of Santmat
1. Mahrshi Mehi Paramhansji Maharaj (1885–1986) :- Among saints Maharshi Mehi Paramhansji Maharaj is the main figure in modern era. He was born at village- Khokhshi Shyam (Majhua) Dist. - Madhepura, Bihar (India) in 1885 a day before Baishakhi Purnima. His paternal village is Sikaligarh Dharhara (Banmankhi) Dist. - Purnea, Bihar (India). He was religious from his childhood. Once he was answering a question from the poem ‘Builders’ in matriculation examination 1904. By unborn power he left the examination-hall and set out in search of suprime goal of life i.e. ‘God Ram’. After a long search he met a great spiritual preceptor ‘Baba Devi Sahab’. Under the direction of this teacher he understood Santmat exactly. He had a self divine realisation in meditation for 18 months in the cave of Kuppaghat, Bhagalpur (Bihar). He worte down his base book of Santmat - ‘Satsang-yoga’. Many other books were also composed by him in Hindi that gives a solid base to Santmat. He spread Santmat extensively moving on troublesome vehicles even in old age. Among regular meditation and satsang he left this earth on 8 June 1986 completing the age of 101 years.
2. Sant Baba Devi Sahab (1841–1919) :- Sant Baba Devi Sahab, the preceptor of Maharshi Mehi Paramhansji Maharaj was inhabitant of Muradabad (U.P.) in India. Munshi Maheshwari Lal had got him as a son by the grace of Sant Tulsi Sahab. He was born in 1841. He got Sant Tusli Sahab as a spiritual preceptor in very early age like 4 years only. Sant Tulsi Sahab put his hand on his head for a moment. Since then he began to practise meditation alone. Leading self supported and unmarried life he served as a post master for some years. He spread Santmat nicely by tour. He left this world in 1919.
3. Sant Tulsi Sahab (1763–1848) :- There is no proper information of the family line of Sant Tulsi Sahab the preceptor of Baba Devi Sahab. It is a guess that he was born in 1763 in a royal family in Puna. This great saint spent most of his time in meditation. Some time he used to go to his disciples to preach them Santmat. He has prayed his preceptor. But the name of his preceptor is unknown. He lived on alms and wore old colthes. His famous book is ‘Ghat Ramayan’. It is filled with the knowledge of Santmat. He departed from this world in 1848 in Hathras (UP.). His tomb is at Hathras (UP.).
4. Maharshi Santsevi Paramhansji Maharaj (1920–2007) :- Maharshi Santsevi Paramhansji Maharaj was one of the greatest disciples of Maharshi Mehi Paramhansji Maharaj. He was born on 20th Dec.1920 at village - Gamharia, Dist.- Madhepura, Bihar (India). He joined Santmat in 1939 by his Guru (spiritual preceptor) Sant Mehi. He severd him about 40 years which is an historical service. Many preachings and books are available due to his hard labour. After his guru he directed santmat as ‘Vartaman Acharya’ (The head of the institution santmat). Santmat satsang and Maharshi Mehi Ashram, Kuppaghat, Bhagalpur developed to much in his good direction. He left this world on 4th June 2007. His beautiful tomb is in the ashram ‘Kuppaghat’.
5. Maharshi Harinandan Paramhansji Maharaj (23 March 1934-continuous) :- Maharshi Harinandan Paramhansji Maharaj is one of the greatest disciples of Maharshi Mehi Paramhansji Maharaj. He served his preceptor personally for about 29 years till his life. He was born at village- Machaha, Dist. - Supaul, Bihar (India) on 23 March 1934 a day before Ramnavmi in Hindi month Chetra. After Maharshi Santseviji he is working as “Vartaman Achraya” the head of the institution ‘Santmat’. In his direction the santmat is progressing by leaps and bound. Now-a-day even in the old age he is on troublesome tour to teach santmat i.e. Dhyan and Satsang. He uses to go to the conference on country level, district level and other. He manages in his direction for books of santmat at very low price. A monthly magazine Shanti-Sandesh is also being published by him and is available at very low cost. He always tries to develop the thought of saints. Thus santmat has become the core of his life. (Jay Guru!)
The MMaharshi Mehi Ashram, Kuppaghat publishes a Monthly called "Shanti-Sandesh" (The Message of Peace) in Indian / Hindi language. Besides several other readings are available for the devotees. Books are in Bharati (Indian) language if language is not mentioned.
Books written by Sadguru Mehi 1. Satsang-Yoga 2. Ramacharit Maanas-Saar Satik 3. Santvaani Satik 4. Veda-Darshan-Yoga 5. Shri Gitaa-Yoga-Prakaash 6. Satsang-Sudhaa, (I) 7. Satsang-Sudhaa, (II) 8. Maharshi Mehi-Padaawali 9. Bhaawaarth Sahit Ghat Raamaayan-Padaawali 10. Vinaya-Patrikaa-Saar Satik 11. Jnan-Yoga-Yukta Ishwar-Bhakti 12. Ishwar Ka Swaroop Aur Uski Prapti 13. Santmat-Siddhant Aur Guru-Kirtan 14. Moksha Darshan(Translated into English by Dr. Satyadeo Sah "The Philosophy Of Salvation"
Books written by Swami Shri Shridhar Baba 1. Amighunt 2. Maharshi Mehi-Padaawali Bhaawaarth Sahit
Books written by Shri Satyadeo Baba 1. The Philosophy Of Salvation (in English) 2. Essence Of Gita-Yoga (in English) 3. Maharshi Mehi-Charit 4. Sant Kabir Aur Maharshi Mehi 5. Maharshi Mehi And His Messages (in English) 6. Santmat Sindhu Ke Sapta-Ratna 7. Tulsi-Dal (Poetry) 8. Aaradhyadeo Ki Yaad Me 9. Bhajananjali
Books written by Swami Shri Santsevi Baba 1. Om-Vivechan 2. Yog-Mahaatmya 3. Guru Mahima 4. Parmaatm-Darshan 5. Parmaatm-Bhakti 6. Santmat Me Saadhanaa Ka Swaroop 7. Sanwaad 8. Tritaapon Se Mukti 9. Sushumnaa Dhyaan 10. Gupt-Mat 11. Lok-Parlok-Upkaari 12. Sukh-Dukh 13. Jag Me Aise Rahanaa 14. Sarv-Dharm-Samanvay 15. Baba Devi Sahab Ke Sansmaran 16. Maharshi Mehi Padawali Satik 17. Je Pahuche Te Kahi Gaye
Books written by Swami Shri Shahi Baba 1. Sansaar Aur Parmaarth 2. Santmataa Binu Gati Nahi 3. Aapan Kaaj Sanwaaru Re 4. Shri Shahi Swami Bhanaawali
Books written by Maharsi Harinandan Paramhans Jee Maharaj 1. Purn sukh ka Rahasya 2. Antar Ajab Bilas 3. Tyago Jagat Ki Aas 4. Ant Mati So Gati
Books written by Swami Shri Bhagirath Baba 1. Maharshi Mehi Ke Dincharyaa Upadesh 2. Santmat Tatva-Jnaan Bodhini 3. Maharshi Mehi Leelamrit 4. Maharshi Mehi Chaitanya Chintan
Books written by Other Disciples 1. Maharshi Mehi Abhinandan Granth—By Maheshwari Singh Mahesh, Laxminarayan, Aanand 2. Rajgir-Haridwar-Delhi Ank 3. Maharshi Mehi Charitra (Dr. Satyadev sah) 4. Rajgeer Haridwar Delhi Anka (Annual Function) 5. Sant Kavi Mehi Vyaktitva aur Krititva (Dr.Maheshwar Pd. Singh) 6. Maharshi Mehi Abhinandan Granth 7. Asharm Parichay (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 8. Adarsh Siksha 9. Jeena Kiska Safal hai (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 10. Santmat Bhajan mala (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 11. Rahna Nahi Desh Virana Hai (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 12. Dhanwan Koun (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 13. Ya Dehi ka garv na kijai (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 14. Asharam Parichay (Dr. Pr. Guru Prasad) 15. Shashwat Santmat & Bang Bhajnavali (Swami Swarupanand Baba)
Books In English 1. The Philosophy of Liberation (Mr. Don Haward & Veen Haward) 2. Essence of Geeta Yoga (Dr. Satyadev Sah) 3. The Quintness of Yoga (Secrct of All Success) (Basan Bairagi)
- Singh, Maheshwar (2000). Dr (second ed.). Bhagalpur, India: Akhil Bharatiya Santmat-Satsang Prakashan. pp. 42–291.
- Maharshi Mehi Ashram, Kuppaghat: Ek Parichay (second ed.). Bhagalpur, India: Akhil Bharatiya Santmat-Satsang Prakashan. 2006.