|Birth name||Jorge Alvarez|
|Also known as||Kurious,
|Origin||Upper Westside, Manhattan, New York, USA|
|Years active||1991 - present|
|Labels||Amalgam Digital, Hoppoh/Columbia/SME|
|Associated acts||MF Doom, MF Grimm, Monsta Island Czars, Bamboo Bros, Red Apples 45|
Jorge Alvarez, also known by his stage names Kurious Jorge or Kurious, is an East Coast underground hip hop artist. Considered a legend of the early 1990s scene, he influenced many MCs of the era, becoming one of the most well known Latino MCs coming out of New York City from the golden era of Hiphop.
Kurious is of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent, and grew up in a Upper Westside neighborhood called Manhattan Valley In NYC . He debuted in 1991 on Powerule's "Young Stars from Nowhere". He then appeared on Pete Nice and DJ Richie Rich's album Dust to Dust. The duo helped Kurious get a record deal with Columbia Records via Bobbito and Pete Nice's Hoppoh imprint. In 1992, he released his first single, "Walk Like a Duck". 1993 saw him signed by Sony Music. In 1994, Kurious released his critically acclaimed debut album A Constipated Monkey, which featured the hit singles "I'm Kurious" and "Uptown shit". The album was a modest commercial success and is considered a classic of golden era hip-hop.
In 1999, he reemerged on MF DOOM's album Operation: Doomsday on the track "?" and contributed a track to a Monsta Island Czars Mixtape, under the alias Biollante. Amalgam Digital reissued A Constipated Monkey with bonus tracks in 2007. In 2009 he released his second solo effort II, which was a critical success and featured the singles "Back From Up Unda", "Back with VIC", "Sittin' in My Car" and "Drinks In The Air."
Well respected in the rap game, he has appeared with most noteworthy underground hip hop acts out of NYC over the past two decades.
- 1992: "Walk Like a Duck" (Hoppoh/Columbia)
- 1993: "Uptown Shit" (Hoppoh/Columbia)
- 1994: "I'm Kurious" (Hoppoh/Columbia)
- 2001: "All Great" (Stonegroove)
- 2009: "Benneton" (Feat. MC Serch & MF DOOM) (Amalgam Digital)
- 2009: "Back With V.I.C." (Amalgam Digital)
- 2009: "Sittin’ In My Car"
- 1991: "Pop Goes the Weasel" (from the 3rd Bass album Derelicts of Dialect)
- 1993: "Boo Boo Heads" (from the Del the Funkee Homosapien album No Need for Alarm)
- 1993: "3 Blind Mice" (from the Pete Nice and DJ Richie Rich album Dust to Dust)
- 1994: "Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide" (from the Gravediggaz album 6 Feet Deep)
- 1994: "Stop Smokin' That Shit" (from the KMD album Black Bastards)
- 1999: "?" (from the MF DOOM album Operation: Doomsday)
- 2003: "Shifting Lanes" (from the MF Grimm MF Doom album Special Herbs & Spices Vol. 1])
- 2006: "Traveling" (from the MF Grimm album American Hunger)
- 2009: "Supervillainz" (from the MF DOOM album Born Like This)
- 2013: "On My Grind" (off Juellz Album "Jewelz")
Uses in Media
- The music video for "Walk Like A Duck" was featured in The Brothers Grunt episode "The Ugly Gruntling."
- official website: kuriousjorge.com