|First appearance||as Algrim Thor #347 (Sep. 1984)
Secret Wars II #4 (Oct. 1985)
Power Pack #18 (Jan. 1986)
|Created by||Walter Simonson|
Malekith the Accursed
|Notable aliases||Algrim the Strong, Valgoth|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength, speed, stamina, and durability
Ability to mystically track and locate enemies over large distances
Kurse is a fictional character that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character first appears as the Dark Elf Algrim the Strong in Thor #347 (Sep. 1984), is transformed into Kurse in Secret Wars II #4 (Oct. 1985) and was created by Walter Simonson.
Fictional character biography
Kurse was originally the most powerful of a race of Dark Elves, and was known as Algrim the Strong. He is coerced by the Dark Elf ruler Malekith the Accursed to fight the Asgardian God of Thunder and superhero, Thor. Malekith, however, betrays Algrim while he is fighting Thor, and in a bid to destroy the Thunder God orders that a pitfall beneath the two be opened. Thor saves himself courtesy of his mystical hammer Mjolnir, while Algrim falls into lava. Algrim's enchanted armor saves his life, but he is still critically injured and develops amnesia from the shock.
Algrim is completely amnesic, except for his obsessive desire to gain revenge upon Thor. Algrim is later healed by the cosmic entity the Beyonder, who transforms him into the much more powerful being called Kurse, who is apparently twice as strong as Thor. The Beyonder transports Kurse to Earth to battle Thor, however Kurse mistakes Thor's ally Beta Ray Bill for Thor and battles him. Kurse then battles the juvenile superhero team, Power Pack. Thor then confronts Kurse, having donned his magical belt of strength to double his own strength. The Beyonder, however, doubles Kurse's strength yet again to counter this. Despite overpowering Thor, Kurse is made to realize that Malekith, not Thor, is to blame for his suffering. The Beyonder then transports Kurse to Hel at Thor's suggestion, to frustrate Hela, the Goddess of Death. Kurse later kills Malekith, who had been masquerading as Balder the Brave, and after repenting is granted citizenship among the Asgardians. Designated as the guardian of the children of Asgard after he helped protect Volstagg's daughter and adopted sons during a plague, he loyally serves Asgard until the time of Ragnarok, when all Asgardians, with the exception of Thor, apparently perish.
Powers and abilities
Kurse possesses a number of superhuman attributes as a result of his natural dark elf physiology and mystical augmentation. Kurse's main advantage against foes is his strength - while initially a close match for Thor, his strength was first increased to twice,[volume & issue needed] and then four times, that of Thor.[volume & issue needed] Courtesy of enchanted armor that was fused to his skin by the Beyonder, Kurse is now almost totally invulnerable but like all Dark Elves is vulnerable to the element iron. Kurse also has the ability to sense and track his opponents over distances as great as continents and can see through illusions and disguises. His armor is a living, sentient, and enchanted armor that allows Kurse to see everything around him.
In other media
- Algrim appears in Thor: The Dark World, portrayed by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. In the film, the Kursed are Dark Elf warriors who enhance their bodies with great risk. Being the last of his kind to undergo the transformation, Algrim became one of the Kursed to aid Malekith during their initial invasion of Asgard and is later killed by Loki.
- Kurse appears as a group boss in Marvel: Avengers Alliance. He is featured in the 14th Spec-Ops.
- Thor #347 - 348 (vol. 1, Sep. - Oct. 1984)
- Secret Wars[volume & issue needed] (vol. 2, Oct. 1985)
- Secret Wars #6 (vol. 2, Dec. 1985)
- Power Pack #18 (May. 1985)
- Thor #363 (vol. 1, Jan. 1986)
- Thor #367 - 368 (vol. 1, May - Jun. 1986)
- Thor #382
- Thor #85 (vol. 2, Dec. 2004)
- McNary, Dave (2012-08-22). "Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje joins 'Thor: Dark World'". Variety. Archived from the original on 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Kurse at Marvel.com